AudioDigit Tube T 100 vs. Charlize - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Mac Man is offline Mac Man  Bouvet Island
diyAudio Member

Default AudioDigit Tube T 100 vs. Charlize

I am new to Class D. Coming to it from Class A (Pass Aleph 30, which I love, but runs way too hot for the space I have for it.)

I have tried Harman Kardon's DPR 2006, but did not like the sound at all, compared to the Pass Aleph: it was powerful, but more like a waterfall, without much definition.

So I am looking at the Tripath-based amps and hoping that I can approximate the sound of the Pass Aleph (or am I crazy?)

I have narrowed my choices to:

(1) the AudioDigit Tube T 100 integrated amp, which is not out yet out, but seems like it will be similar to the Tube T 2020 (http://www.audiodigit.com/index.php?section=37), but using the 4100A chip, and

(2) the Charlize, placed in one of these enclosures: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ampbox/page2.html

I am leaning toward the AudioDigit, because my room is large, with high ceilings and the Pass Aleph 30 (at 30W) was just about adequate for it. So I am thinking that the Charlize might be straining a bit with the room and the speakers (Gallo Solo, 90dB.)

Any thought on this and also on the idea of the tube pre-amp? Do I really need the tube (I'll be using a pre-pro?) Anyone with experience with these?

Thanks.
Old 1st June 2006, 09:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

One more thing: should I worry much with respect to RFI with these two amps?
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

O.K., I think I am going for the Audiogit T 100 (http://www.audiodigit.com/index.php?section=83). AudioDigit tells me that RFI is not an issue with this amp.

The one question I still have is, do I need to go for the Heresy Tube Pre-amp (http://www.audiodigit.com/index.php?section=38)? AudioDigit tells me that it, in combination with the T100, will get me closer to the Pass Aleph sound I am looking for than the integrated Tube T 100 I mentioned in my first post.

The Heresy is 370 Euros. I'll be using a HK 635 as a pre-amp anyway, so am wondering if I need to spring for it.

Anyone who has heard the T 100, or the Heresy, and tell me their impressions?

Someone must have heard one of those....
Old 3rd June 2006, 02:14 PM   #4
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I don't know if this is much help. I have no answers, just my own experience.

I use a tube amp. I also have the cheapo Sonic Impact T amp. I thought the latter would be a poor match for my (now sold) Mårten Design speakers. I thought they would sound too analytic, too sterile. I was totally wrong. It turned out to be a great match.

I wouldn't know, but can believe a tube pre/buffer can be an improvement. The question, of course, is if YOU need tubes. And the reason I question it is that you have survived without. I cannot see why this should be different.
Old 4th June 2006, 03:20 PM   #5
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: AudioDigit Tube T 100 vs. Charlize

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Man
but using the 4100A chip,
I cannot comment on the audiodigit specifically, but I've been using the Tripath 4100 eval board to drive my desktop system for nearly a year now. I may repackage it to make it more functional and use it at home too. It is a good performing amplifier overall and I believe you would be happy with what it does sonically.
Old 5th June 2006, 06:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I placed and order for the T 100 (already shipped..., the are fast:-)

Will wait to hear it before deciding on the Heresy tube pre-amp. Once I hear it, I'll post how it compares to the Pass Aleph 30.
Old 5th June 2006, 07:00 PM   #7
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Man
Thanks. I placed and order for the T 100 (already shipped..., the are fast:-)

Will wait to hear it before deciding on the Heresy tube pre-amp. Once I hear it, I'll post how it compares to the Pass Aleph 30.

I will look forward to hearing how you like it.

Good Luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!