passive pre for UCD - balanced or SE??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2006, 08:57 AM   #1
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

Question passive pre for UCD - balanced or SE???

Greetings,

After much searching, I've decided to embark on my first DIY amp project -- either a pair of ucd400 monoblocks or a ucd400 stereo amp.

In 4 days I've managed to read some 4000 posts.....

I will have a single source, a DAC, which I don't have yet. But I've singled out models which would have an output voltage and impedence that means I would just need a passive pre, and have balanced out option.

My question is fairly simple -- for the volume pot between the source and the UCD's, do I need a 4-gang (balanced stereo) attenuator or a 2-gang (unbalanced stereo) attenuator?

I read two very useful pdf's on the hypex site -- one on

wiring and another on earthing .

Seems to be that a balanced system is the way to go.
For the pot, goldpoint and Dact seem to have 4 gang pots.

Would interested in opinions...
thanks!
stefan

Hide this!Advertise here!