UCDs with SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a smattering of information pertaining to UCD's and SMPS on this forum. I recently burnt my UCD modules due to supply problems (i had diode failure with no fuse on the rails) and would like to get back into the game using SMPS. They worked pretty well with my gainclones but i would need new more power smps for the Ucd's. Before i invest in this path.....

Does anyone tried SMPS as compared to linear unregulated supplies? I know hypex is providing OEM users with this option of smps. It does seem corherent to use SMPS with PWM.. something like "Alternative Energy" going on now. :D

Would Bruno or anyone care to comment?

Chuck.

I have been playing with Coldamp's SPS80 SMPS with my UcD400 AD modules from their initial production run in the last couple weeks. Results are very positive - I couldn't hear any beating noises. I am going to try to use their AUX +/-12V to regulate the AD8260. I will post more results later.

I have eventually found here a reference to our coldamp SPS80 power supply and its use with UcD400, so I would like to point out some things...
After a long testing phase, we decided to make a first production run and offer them only to OEMs/distributors. Given the excellent acceptance they are having, we are now in the middle of a bigger production run, so we are going to offer them to particulars in a month more or less, as soon as we start receiving them from the manufacturer.
These supplies are specifically designed to operate with our BP4078 modules (which, by the way, now include bigger mosfets in order to allow much bigger output current and operate to larger power levels safely). We are soon offering a synchronization board that allows synchronization of up to 4 BP4078 modules with a SPS80 PSU, lowering the noise floor and ensuring whistle-free operation.

We have not tested the supplies with other modules such as ZAP-Pulse or Hypex ones, although reports from our customers are very good with these. In fact the supply can be easily modified to reduce output voltage down to +/-30V, so they should be suitable for UcD180 too, although, I repeat, we have not tested that.

Best regards,
Sergio Sanchez
www.coldamp.com

Nice to see that the coldamp SMPS is available at last!

Hey, proengin, could you post more comments about how it works? What modules have you tried with the SPS80? Hypex, coldamp, ZAPPulse...?
What are your impressions so far? The photos look superb.

I just can wait to order some of them ;-)

I am running the SPS80 and UcD400AD combo in 4 monoblock config. Have been busy in the last couple weeks so not much listening. But I can tell you the dynamic of music is much better than HG linear supply (modded with 2 x 10KuF Jensen caps) and UcD400 combo. The most important of all - no audiable beating noise as most of us are concerned about.

I am busy in designing 4 small chassis as their permanent home. Will also make provision to install BP4078 amp modules for comparison.

Generic SMPS

Thanks for the information on these smps. How far away is the quality of a generic smps like meanwell and corsel from these audiophile smps?

Not that i am a nuforce basher, but they apparently use generic smps in their amps.

I was looking at the ripple current noise specs, not much differences. Perhaps its not an indicative stat.

Chuck

There is an important difference between coldamp SPS80 and other general purpose switching power supplies: capacitance reservoir. For audio, it is very important to have a good reserve of energy for fast and deep current demands, and loading is also very variable.
Usually, SMPS have a few hundreds of uF at the ouptut because they are designed for quite constant loads. Our supply, on the other hand, has 6600uF per rail plus more than 3000uF at the primary side.

You can't simply add capacitance at the output of a general purpose SMPS in general, as the feedback loop may become unstable due to the added phase shift and oscillate (you really don't want that :D).
Our SMPS has regulation but all the capacitance is taken into account at the time of designing the feedback loop, so it is very estable and no additional caps are needed.

There are other differences, such as the possibility of being synchronized between several supplies and with out class-D modules.

Best regards,
Sergio

ssanmor said:
There is an important difference between coldamp SPS80 and other general purpose switching power supplies: capacitance reservoir. For audio, it is very important to have a good reserve of energy for fast and deep current demands, and loading is also very variable.
Usually, SMPS have a few hundreds of uF at the ouptut because they are designed for quite constant loads. Our supply, on the other hand, has 6600uF per rail plus more than 3000uF at the primary side.

You can't simply add capacitance at the output of a general purpose SMPS in general, as the feedback loop may become unstable due to the added phase shift and oscillate (you really don't want that :D).
Our SMPS has regulation but all the capacitance is taken into account at the time of designing the feedback loop, so it is very estable and no additional caps are needed.

There are other differences, such as the possibility of being synchronized between several supplies and with out class-D modules.

Best regards,
Sergio

Sergio, is it possible to use my own caps. at the output of the SMPS? So not using the internal output caps. I find caps. make a difference and there are not that many that have a positive influence on the sonics. I would like to use the SMPS with the Vishay 102's (10.000/63V). I use the BHC AL20S T-Net in another amp. but they add nothing positive to the sound.

Sergio, is it possible to use my own caps. at the output of the SMPS? So not using the internal output caps. I find caps. make a difference and there are not that many that have a positive influence on the sonics...

Yes, you can. At a first attempt, you can simply put your caps in parallel. The control loop gain has been kept intentionally low in order to have good regulation but also good estability, so there shouldn't be any problem. You have to watch out for start-up and power-down ramps. As the SPS80 leaves the factory, it is perfectly smooth with no peaks or overshoot from no-load to full-load. If you add capacitance, please check that.

You will also have the option to remove the onboard caps, that shouldn't present any inconvenience for you.

Best regards,
Sergio

ssanmor said:

Yes, you can. At a first attempt, you can simply put your caps in parallel. The control loop gain has been kept intentionally low in order to have good regulation but also good estability, so there shouldn't be any problem. You have to watch out for start-up and power-down ramps. As the SPS80 leaves the factory, it is perfectly smooth with no peaks or overshoot from no-load to full-load. If you add capacitance, please check that.

You will also have the option to remove the onboard caps, that shouldn't present any inconvenience for you.

Best regards,
Sergio

Hi Sergio,

Thats nice. Any id when the 30's are ready?

We are currently reviewing some minor changes and purchasing the parts so our first production run should start in 1 month aprox. We don't want to hurry as we are accumulating field experience with the SPS80 that can be applied to the SPS30 model, too.
We will let you know as soon as it is released.
Best regards,
Sergio

Hi, all,

I came across this thread as I'm considering to give the UcD's a try, too.
This SMPS talk sounds very interesting with audio-targeted SMPS, but are they available for sale (when production is completed) for everybody, or is it business-to-business only?
Any links to details? There's a little too much taken for granted for a newcomer like me on this thread for now ;-)

Jennice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.