Sonic Impact T-Amp Definitive Improvement List?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Power supply

There is at least one whole thread of Sonic Impact modifications, and I would suggest that - since there is naturally no single solution in audio that will provide ultimate results for everyone - you trawl your way through the postings, as there are lots of different perspectives to consider...

Naturally, reading the wiki comments on t amp and Charlize mods may give further food for thought...

Re the power supply, I obtained a 12V 5A regulated supply from an eBay.co.uk seller called digidave_uk, which I found delivered rather better results than a Mascot 13.8V 2A supply I also had available... It's the 12V 5A unit that is put into use, whether with the Sonic Impact or the Charlize...

I wish you success in your endeavours in helping the amp to achieve some of the potential hinted at in it's standard and unmodified form...

Keefe.

ps_mrwonderful said:
I've searched but can't find one... is there a definitive list of improvements that can be made to the T-Amp, maybe even in order of how much they improve the output?

PS - also does anyone know of a decent PSU (12V, 2-3A regulated output) for the T-Amp available in the UK?

For the PSU I have this one:
PSU
It's quiet as a mouse, especially if you put in a stiffener cap between it and the T, as close as you can.
Stiffener cap:
BHC

The biggest improvement by far is to replace the input caps with good quality 2.0uf or bigger caps. If you are a bit of a novice then do the stealth mod:
films
The films can be anything from the Maplins:
Pretty good
to these:
very good

After that it's time to change the onboard power cap (C10) to a larger low ESR:
This sort of thing
unless you can get any better/higher values to fit in there (you can always solder it underneath instead of trying to jam it inbetween the output inductors!)

Order of things to do:
1. Input caps
2. On-board power cap with off-board stiffener
After that you can start to split hairs but these will make 90% of the difference if not more.

Re-boxing with nice cables and connectors is always a pre-requisit!!!

Now go search the vast list of threads on how to do it!

Best of luck and happy modding

Lee

First on my list would be a change of the input caps, i am thinking about the value (around 2.2uF), i am not going to comment on the type of the cap, since this is a bit overrated imho, but it seems there are other opinions also ;).
Good luck and have fun with the little amp.
Nils

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hmmm.....
My definative list, without the technical details, might go like this:

In order of importance.
1) Better Power Supply
2) Heatsink.
3) Better, larger input caps
4) Better, larger C10 cap,
5) Upgrade connectors and case
6) Upgrade Pot
7) Add more offboard capacitance. (Stiffner cap).

After that. it's time for a better T-Amp! :D

I have both the T amp and Super T amp. Personally, I wouldn't bother with modding the base model, just spend the extra on the Super T. It's in another league especially wrt bass response. But that's me.

The only mod I've done is to supply my amp's power from a 12V car battery -- this worked out really well and is my permanent solution. It cut noise down and improved the sound noticeably. Ymmv.

I also briefly ran an active preamp and bypassed the Super T's pot by running it wide open. I believe that is very worthwhile to do. This was a budget high end pre (Hafler 101) and it added a lot of dimension and color. I'm building a good tube linestage now (Aikido) to run with my T.

SI T- amp used for Computer? With Powered Speakers?

Hi I am a total newbie here and I wanted to use this Amp for my computer with minimal mods ( to Start)..... Heres is what I ran into.....I bought a Universal 12 V adapter seems to work well.... then I used some old Rca Cables that were cut and fed them into the Speaker connectors on the back then adapted them to 1/8 inch male connector and plugged them into my Cambridge Soundworks Computer Speakers....

I connected my ipod and the sound is INCREDIBLE..... My main goal for this amp was to use between my computer and my Speakers and also split or connect them to headphones.....( headphone amp!)

Well When I attempt to connect the computer ( I tried 2 of them... a PC and A mac) I get a Ticking... Feedbacky sound.....am I doing something wrong here? shouldn't it not matter that the speakers are powered?

IS the solution to by-pass the powered Subwoofer buy splitting the computer output.... one straight to Sub then the other to the T-amp..then connecting the to the Small speakers which I would disconnect from the powered Sub?

I have seen Computer setups done with this Amp..but they aren't using Powered ones? How can I solve this? becuase my next step was to put this amp between my Computer and my Stereo..is this just wrong? due to power levels?..is the ipod that much weaker in signal or Safer?

Thanx for any help and be nice I am a geek but this is all new territory for me 8 )
:dead:

Re: SI T- amp used for Computer? With Powered Speakers?

saiajin said:
Well When I attempt to connect the computer ( I tried 2 of them... a PC and A mac) I get a Ticking... Feedbacky sound.....am I doing something wrong here? shouldn't it not matter that the speakers are powered?

I'm not familiar with your computer speakers, but most of them have an amplifier that can't be bypassed. That's your problem.

well I CAN disconnect the Satellite speakers from the amp...will that work...???

interesting development...whle trying this with my Ipod for a second time..by Batt went dead..so I set it in the dock fr power and guess what? SAME LOUD FEEDBACKY TICKING..remove it from the Dock and it goes away..So this Definitely a Groud Loop correct? if so is the solution a ground loop isolator?

BTW.. these are the speakers I have..http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=mul_speakers&item=c1swzzzzz

Okay, another question . . .

I have a T-Amp in my rig right now. Sounds good and is easy to work with, but now I'm up for something better, and I have zero time and experience to be doing any upgrades on my own. So, assuming I'd be willing to lay down the scratch for a Super T-Amp (~$150), is that the best option at that price, or are there other fully assembled digital amps for $150 or less that I should be looking at?

Kensai

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
2 answers:

Kensai - AFAIK the Super-T is the only amp of its kind in that price range.
However there is a Motorola CD/DVD receiver that has Tripath amplification. 5 channels I think, and much more power than the Super-T. It gets good reviews.
You can get them on eBay for about $150 or less.

saiajin I don't know what the heck you are trying to do, but it sounds wacky! Those Cambridge speakers are NOT right for the Sonic Impact. They already have an amp - and a crossover.

There was very little detail on the website, but they look a lot like a pair of Cambridge computer speakers I have that date back about 10 years. The amps and crossover are in the sub unit. There is only a speaker level output for the small speakers. That means that signal has already run thru a crossover and an amp. Why would you re-amplify that?

You could connect the small speakers directly to the sonic, but without the high pass filter (crossover) you risk blowing them out. So not a good idea either.

Let us know what you want to do. I'm surprised you haven't blown up the place already. :hot: ;)

panomaniac said:
saiajin I don't know what the heck you are trying to do, but it sounds wacky! Those Cambridge speakers are NOT right for the Sonic Impact. They already have an amp - and a crossover.
Yup.... I see my folly now!

You could connect the small speakers directly to the sonic, but without the high pass filter (crossover) you risk blowing them out. So not a good idea either.
This is what I was thinking but I don't want to blow them out...LOL

Let us know what you want to do. I'm surprised you haven't blown up the place already. :hot: ;)

Well U R Right it is a miracle I haven't burned the house down yet....but for the mean time...grabed an Rca board from Radio shack and wired some speaker wire to the connectors....then adapter like madman 1/8 inch to 1/8 to make it a headphone amp..... I do want to rebox it it first with proper connectors and a heapphone jack also....then take my first step into the world of more serious sodering and try other mods... I guess I have no idea where to start but i would like to do this in 2 steps 1 the rebxxong and 2 the internal mods...but the quiestion is do I need to replace my universal adapter wi th something better to start if i am to even think about the reboxxing?

sorry I am really newbing out but I could really love this stuff.....just need some pointers I guess...

I still suspect there may be a ground loop issue as well..I had problems with analog mic connections on my pc while podcasting previously...and ended up going to a USB mic for the Mac (which had almost no latency as opposed the pc which had tons!)

Thanx Again!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well... you can make a headphone amp out of the Sonic, but you'll need an adaptor circuit. There are much better headphone amps out there, really.

If you want to have fun, save the Sonic for a pair of Sound Pads from the same company as the Sonic. That could be worthwhile. If you're really clever, you can use the sub from the Cambridge and the Sound Pads/Sonic for the highs.

panomaniac,

Wow! That is one ugly piece of crap. Not to mention loaded mostly with features I couldn't care less about, but missing progressive scan out on that DVD player ;-p Oh well, the amp section looks like it would be really nice. Too bad you can't get that and maybe the DSP section out and into a smaller box.

So, if I'm going to dump a huge new component into my rig for amp duty, would I be better with that Motorola monster or should I step up to on of the Panasonic digital receivers, like the new XR57, perhaps?

Kensai

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kensai said:
Wow! That is one ugly piece of crap.

Oh, didn't I mention that it had won several ugly awards? :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

That, and all the other junk inside is one reason I haven't bought one, yet. But they are well liked.

The Panasonic XR line is well loved too - but I have not heard one. Supposed to be very good value for money - equal to amps in the 1-2K $ range. You'll find plenty written about the panny on the forums. Good luck!

I really wanted to rebox it regardless...and i was concerned about the power supply....should I change it now b4 I rebox it? is my Belkin 300mA Universal adapter fine?

I do have an old set of Acoustic Research speakers that I have that sound dern good with them as is but I wanna make it better...but in steps.... U know DIY style....LOL

Thanx Again for the advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.