Sonic Impact T-Amp Definitive Improvement List?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
saiajin said:
I really wanted to rebox it regardless...and i was concerned about the power supply....should I change it now b4 I rebox it? is my Belkin 300mA Universal adapter fine?

I do have an old set of Acoustic Research speakers that I have that sound dern good with them as is but I wanna make it better...but in steps.... U know DIY style....LOL

Thanx Again for the advice

Could someone at least answer this question for me....?????? I don't get it... no help at all here.... just don't do it? I thought this was thread to mod this amp... All I get is what not to do..not what To do....

Fine Will U help me if I agree to not make it a headphone amp...sheesh

T amp power supply...

Calm down, sunshine!... There is a hell of a lot of comment about power supplies for the smaller t amps in a lot of threads in this forum...

If you simply do a search on "power supply" you will certainly find lots of suggestions as to a) what type of power supply is preferred, b) what rating ranges are considered ideal...

For my own part, I use a 12V 5A SMPS "line lump" supply that originally powered a LCD lap-top computer, obtained from ebay, and use it with either the Sonic Impact or the Charlize...

As you would probably notice from other forum comments, others have often felt happy with anything over 2A, and as a personal opinion I would tend to regard a 300MA supply as deserving upgrading...

These ludicrously over-achieving and modestly priced amps are great fun, and I wish you great success in getting them to deliver their potential...

Keefe.

If someone was prepared to mod a Super-T wouldn't getting an assembled Charlize board make more sense? Price is about the same if you have an old donor amp to use for the case and connectors.

I went the other way and ordered some Amp3 kits but now it's arrived I almost wish I'd bought a built module. Then again, compared to the Charlize it's over 3 times cheaper.

With all respect fellas, this is thread is meant for listing or possibly discussing those mods thought most highly of for the Sonic Impact. Debating the merits of modding vs. buying a pre-assembled or asking for tech support in doing something with a Tripath that's not really recommended - these are things for another thread or some searching.

After much searching and reading, I decided on the stealth mod, Alps pot (from RatShack), 12v 1.5a PS (also from RatShack and unfortunately not regulated) and reboxing with parts from apexjr.com.

For input caps, I raided the local surplus store, first using some small 2.2uf caps that appeared to be polypropylene. Next, I tried what appear to be much larger poly caps, but these looked like 'orange drops' with a red case. They're 2.8uf. I get a bit of turn-on thump, but after some hours of listening, the amp sounds really quite good with adequate bass, a warmth that it didn't have pre-modding and all the usual precision and detail was still present.

That's the definitive list for me.

panomaniac said:
Hmmm.....
My definative list, without the technical details, might go like this:

In order of importance.
1) Better Power Supply
2) Heatsink.
3) Better, larger input caps
4) Better, larger C10 cap,
5) Upgrade connectors and case
6) Upgrade Pot
7) Add more offboard capacitance. (Stiffner cap).

After that. it's time for a better T-Amp! :D

#4) C10 - can a 470uF/16v Nippon Chemi-Com cap do wonders in replace of the stock cap? this is what i only found in my parts bin

Re: Replace inductors

spadulata said:
No-one has put inductor replacement on their list.

I only did it last night so haven't listened much - was I wasting my time?

I changed mine and there was an improvement but only subtle. I replaced the existing ones for ferrite toroids and it seems to smooth out the highs as well as 'maybe' improve the base.
Like I said, subtle!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.