Sonic Impact power-amp - biamping vs. bridge? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2006, 03:31 PM   #1
htgeek is offline htgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sonic Impact power-amp - biamping vs. bridge?

Hi,

I've no expierence in DIY-hifi but the first thing I wanted to do in this area is building new power-amps on the basis of the little Sonic Impact t-amp. I've read the threads but there're still some questions or at least I'm unsure about how to do some things right:

I was planing on a 4ch and a 6ch power amp - both should be used for bi-amping. What setup is preferable - use 2x2 or 2x3 RCA jacks as input and use them as real 4ch/6ch amps with y-phono cables? Or just one pair or trio of RCA jacks and do the y-connecting on the inside?

I've read the guide on tnt-audio. Would it be suitable for a y-connection to simply shortcut L/R and connect one phono jack with L(or R) and E?
Click the image to open in full size.

On the other hand I've read about bridging but unsure if it's possible to bridge one stereo tAMP somehow to mono (other than out-of-the-box) - with just one speaker terminal, twice power and without messing up the impedance (as far I understood it, that was the problem)?

thank you very much (and sorry for my bad english)
Old 19th May 2006, 05:14 PM   #2
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

As a DIYer you can do the interfacing as you please. RCA or phono or a single multi-pin microphone-type connector make no difference. RCA is the safe bet.

You cannot bridge the SI. It's already bridged. Bi-amping is your only option.

Hide this!Advertise here!