ucd180 enough power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My sansui au-x701 just blew up it's power supply. I may decide on building a new amplifier with 2xucd180 or 2xucd400. The question is do i need the power of the ucd400.

The sansui was 2x100w at 8 ohm, and had very good bass control. I also uprated the power supply condensors from 2x15.000uF to 2x75.000uF.

For me the sansui had just enough power for my speakers.

Will the ucd180 bew powerful enough or should i go for the 400?

Well your Sansui was 100W into 8 ohms, the UcD180 is 180W into 4 ohms so potentially could be as low as 90W into 8 ohms. I doubt you will notice any difference. The Sansui is probably a bit over rated anyway, and I very much doubt it can do 180W into 4 ohms even if the PSU was up to it.

As you need a new PSU anyway, that is where most of the attention should be focussed. Especially as you can build it such that it will really do 180W into 4 ohms, which will be far more than the Sansui could manage.

bcrazy said:
For me the sansui had just enough power for my speakers.

Will the ucd180 bew powerful enough or should i go for the 400?
Think decibels also. You will get 3 dB more out from UcD400, hardly noticable if we only talk about the sound level.

If money is not an issue maybe you should go for UcD400? Both Bruno and Jan-Peter have hinted about the more advanced circuitry of the UcD400.

Ok

The UCD180 is rated at 105Watts in 4 ohms with a +/-45 supply
How high can i go before i trip the overvoltage supply at 52 V?

I read another post here by MOER and he said 48 volts vould trip the overvoltage.

Hypex says 50 volt is max.
How much power will it give with 50V, provided it's possible to run that high voltage.

Will the sound quality decrease when you exceed 45 volts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.