New to PWM. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2006, 10:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question New to PWM.

Hi
I would love to learn something about class D amplifiers, but it still seems to be kind of esoteric knowledge. There is still not much "know how" or "how to build" information, at least I didn't find much.
I think I know some basical basics of basic class D amplifier design, probably still not enough to design one myself. I played a little bit with a simulator but I don't trust stupid digital models, life showed that sims cannot predict switching of even small signal bjt's.
The outcome schematic is in the attachment, I hope you all class D gurus will share a bit of knowledge to help a newbie.

I have several questions:
1. Would it be potentially workable at all?
2. If so, would it be worth building?
3. What are general ways to avoid cross-conduction keeping dead time short and slew rate high? Any suggestions how to improve the schematic below?
4. How to know that class D amp using bootstrap is going to explode on start-up or not?

... and much more...
I am really looking forward to suggestions and discussion.

best regards
Adam
Attached Images
File Type: gif pwm.gif (14.8 KB, 536 views)
Old 18th May 2006, 01:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

oooops!
zeners should be of much higher voltage.

regards
Adam
Old 19th May 2006, 12:58 AM   #3
kartino is offline kartino  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi, finally......

Adam, please to try your schematic with simulation. LTSpice (Switchercad) will be good to know your questions.

Because the speed of switch that very high, a discrete class-d needed to be simulated and fine tuned until you have good output result, fastest switching, less cross conduction, etc.
Old 19th May 2006, 06:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Because the speed of switch that very high, a discrete class-d needed to be simulated and fine tuned until you have good output result, fastest switching, less cross conduction, etc.
And what if I get satisfactory simulation results? Should I be assured to be able to put schematic to really working circuit? With similar parameters?

regards
Old 19th May 2006, 06:29 AM   #5
kartino is offline kartino  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Fist, you will know that your circuit works, then you push to the limit during fine tuning.

After that then you make a real test. During real test it may you will find problem, such as heat, cross conduction, so you also make fine tuning on real.
Old 19th May 2006, 06:52 AM   #6
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Yeah, by analyzing every limitation of the first simulation, you stand a good chance of learning ways of circumventing them one at a time in order to achieve optimal theoretical performance.. which a few exceptions to the real world.

Then compare the first real world prototype performance via test and measurement, to the simulation ideal. Use your powers of obsvervation combined with what you know in theory through research, and possibly collaboration via collegues aand this place, to work out the understanding that will allow the final optimal solution before posting it to us all
Old 19th May 2006, 09:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you for responses
I conclude that you cannot tell any possible pitfalls or blatant mistakes from schematic, right?
Old 19th May 2006, 09:53 PM   #8
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You might want to decrease the value of the inductor a bit. 80uH is pretty high and will have a lot of copper loss unless you want to use heavier gauge wire and end up with a huge inductor.
Old 20th May 2006, 03:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Brian
Sounds reasonable.
Do you know any 'thumb' rule to design output filter, like, say: 120% nominal load resistance, 1/3 of switching freq., Butterworth (blind shot here)?
Old 20th May 2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Forget abut simulating discrete switching circuits. Simulation models are intended for linear applications only and you will get weird surprises if you try to build what the simulator tells to be optimum.

What you can simulate with proper software is class D control strategies, but always in a theoretical basis with ideal components.

Hide this!Advertise here!