'nother noob Charlize question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2006, 06:45 AM   #11
McRib is offline McRib  United States
diyAudio Member

eVITAERC,
What should the GND on the Charlize be hooked up to? Should the GND be hooked up to the FG terminal of the power supply? (I guess that does make sense.) I'm a little confused though because on the Charlize site, it states, "Please note as TA2020 output stage is bridged, DO NOT tie them to GND." Also, when I measure the voltage difference, what am I supposed to be looking for?

The Anonymous1,
If you were a complete novice, what does that make me?! The price for that Emtel PSU is getting ridiculous. I'm also thinking about getting this:
http://bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?sid=...WR1206&stype=3
It was mentioned in an earlier thread. It seems to be a simpler, cheaper solution. It's also an SMPS. You just can't adjust the voltage.
Old 18th May 2006, 12:44 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ahh thank you McRib, I've been trying to remember the name of that website for quite some time now.

The man in the brown uniform is delivering one of these to me today.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Monitor-Pow...QQcmdZViewItem

14v 3 amp switching supply. The specs look like a good match for these small tripath amps. I'll let you know how it works out later today.

If all you have is one Charlize then that 12 amp emtel supply would be a bit overkill anyways. It would work nice for a bi or tri amped setup though.

EDIT: I was just browsing bgmicro and found this supply, it looks promising....

http://bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?sid=...WR1209&stype=3

Another......

http://bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?sid=...3&cri=&stype=1
Old 18th May 2006, 09:58 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I just got through testing the DELL monitor supply I received today. Playing my modded T-amp to clipping with bass heavy music doesn't put a dent in the regulation in this supply. The output measures 14.1 on my Fluke and it just barely drops to 14.0 at full volume and even then its hards for the meter to decide whether it wants to display a .0 or a .1.

One thing to note, at very extreme clipping where I would never normally listen to the T-amp at, the amp starts to cut out. I've never had it do it with any other supply so my guess is that its the supply running out of current even though its still showing 14v on my meter. This isn't really a problem considering no one would ever listen to such extreme clipping.

As much as I like this supply I probably won't have it much longer. I need some cash so I'm going to put my micro T-amp in the trading post and offer this supply to go with it for an extra charge.
Old 20th May 2006, 01:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Onkyo TX-LR552

I am interested in how you found out the Onkyo TX-LR552 has the Tripath Chip(s) in it? Did you crack it open and look? I may consider picking one up if you are sure about it having "Tripath inside"!

I have a SI Amp, and I will be ordering a Charlize soon.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th May 2006, 02:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I suspect it not with the power supply running out of current but rather Tripath chip tends to go into protection mode when connected to a higher supply voltage and/or driven lower impedance load.

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1
One thing to note, at very extreme clipping where I would never normally listen to the T-amp at, the amp starts to cut out. I've never had it do it with any other supply so my guess is that its the supply running out of current even though its still showing 14v on my meter. This isn't really a problem considering no one would ever listen to such extreme clipping.

Old 20th May 2006, 05:47 PM   #16
McRib is offline McRib  United States
diyAudio Member

Tripath07,
Oh my, I'm so embarassed! I was rereading the thread regarding the LR552 on AVSFORUM that I thought talked about the amp using a Tripath chip. Someone did crack it open and found it didn't! I'm sorry I gave out wrong information!

On a side note, the LR552 cost me $90. Less than my Super T-Amp and the same as the Charlize!

TheAnonymous1,
Thanks for the power supply links on BGMicro. They look like good alternatives to Emtel.
I'm starting to get cold feet though. I'm worried that if I get the Charlize, it's going to suck me into this time consuming world of DIY! I've started looking at the full range driver speakers and the DIY horn boxes. Now 'm getting really worried. I think I should just be happy with my Super T-Amp and be done with it!
Old 20th May 2006, 09:14 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

McRib, Thanks for the quick response! Too bad it's not Class T. I would also be interested in your thoughts on the sound quality of the Onkyo TX-LR552, and if you really like the sound in 2 channel mode, ect. My other question is who's chip was in it? I'll guess TI.

I have an Onkyo receiver (TX-DS595) in my main surround sound system for dvd's, TV in the family room. So I like Onkyo, and I may still pick it up.

I have two Class T set-ups, the SI amp with the SI 2A SMPS. I am experimenting with 12V SLA batteries on the SI right now for the first time! The 3.3A battery I bought earlier today did not seem to have enough juice when compared to the SI 2A SMPS. I am on my way to exchange it for an 12V SLA 7A battery.

I also have the Virgin Electronic's Boomtube EX. It has two Class T chips powering it (40 total watts), and sounds the BEST (sweet)when it's running off of it's rechargeable Li- ion battery. I haven't cracked it open to see what chip(s) are in it, but I think it has a couple of the 2020 chips in there. It sounds great.

I will be getting a Charlize soon to replace the SI Amp. I am really looking forward to hearing Charlize with the Air Core inductors!

How do you like the Super T Amp?

Thanks again!
Old 21st May 2006, 06:59 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well, I knew the sound was not right from the first 12V SLA battery. It sounded fuzzy, not clear or good. It was a "Werker" brand, and only 3.3 AH, which I found out was the amount of time the charge lasts. The first guy who helped me today did not know what he was talking about. So I switched brands to a "Power Sonic" brand battery, and went with a 7 AH 12v battery, which is twice as big. The sound was MUCH more what I expected my SI to sound like with a SLA 12V battery!

This one sounds great.
Old 21st May 2006, 07:37 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripath07
McRib, Thanks for the quick response! Too bad it's not Class T. I would also be interested in your thoughts on the sound quality of the Onkyo TX-LR552, and if you really like the sound in 2 channel mode, ect. My other question is who's chip was in it? I'll guess TI.

I have an Onkyo receiver (TX-DS595) in my main surround sound system for dvd's, TV in the family room. So I like Onkyo, and I may still pick it up.

I have two Class T set-ups, the SI amp with the SI 2A SMPS. I am experimenting with 12V SLA batteries on the SI right now for the first time! The 3.3A battery I bought earlier today did not seem to have enough juice when compared to the SI 2A SMPS. I am on my way to exchange it for an 12V SLA 7A battery.

I also have the Virgin Electronic's Boomtube EX. It has two Class T chips powering it (40 total watts), and sounds the BEST (sweet)when it's running off of it's rechargeable Li- ion battery. I haven't cracked it open to see what chip(s) are in it, but I think it has a couple of the 2020 chips in there. It sounds great.

I will be getting a Charlize soon to replace the SI Amp. I am really looking forward to hearing Charlize with the Air Core inductors!

How do you like the Super T Amp?

Thanks again!

2 x TA2024......and a sod to modify!..dont bother cracking her open!
Old 21st May 2006, 01:16 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
2 x TA2024......and a sod to modify!..dont bother cracking her open!
Thanks for the info! It is nice to know what's in there, and now I won't have to crack her open. I picked two brand new Boomtube EX's up on U-BID.com for $55 a piece about 6 months ago. A steal considering they went for $199 before Virgin Electronic's division went under. It has a wonderful sound running off the rechargeable Li-ion battery. I still have one Boomtube EX sealed in plastic in the unopened box.

What did you mean by "sod to modify"?

Thanks again!

Hide this!Advertise here!