'nother noob Charlize question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tripath07,

The chip in the LR552 is the IRF530N from International Rectifier. No idea who they are. Here is the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=576479
As far as the sound goes. I only use the LR552 in two modes. Direct and Stereo Mode.
I felt it was very crisp and detailed sounding. Everything seemed tighter. This is compared to an old Rotel integrated amp. Not sure if it really was better because it was new and everything new seems like it should be better. When I build a home theater, I think I may get the Panasonic XR57. Seems like a good buy.

Regarding my Super T-Amp. I don't own the original T-Amp so I can't really compare. But compared to the Onkyo, the sound seems warmer. The edges are more rounded.

What I don't like about these low power amps is you are so limited by what kind of speakers you can use. I hate that actually and find it very frustrating.

McRib,

Thanks for the review, I'm glad to hear that you like the sound of the Super T-amp better then the Onkyo. I am looking forward to getting my Charlize. I have heard many good things about the TA2020 Chip!

The 12v SLA battery sounds great, the bass is deeper from the battery than the 2A smps from SI. The battery is better, although the SI power supply gives move positive detail in the high end.

Dell power supply

theAnonymous1,

I am interested in hearing the details on how the dell power supply sounded. You said you liked it. Did the higher 14v give you more bass? Was it quiet, ect. Also I had heard that at 14v it would fry the T-Amp? I would consider buying one if it won't fry my T-Amp, also can you give a link to purchase it.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to another one I heard was good. But I don't think the plug-in is the right size, I think someone said it fit a Europe model T-Amp? What do you think?

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PS-1231/480/12_VDC_3.5_AMP_POWER_SUPPLY_.html

I am interested in hearing the details on how the dell power supply sounded. You said you liked it. Did the higher 14v give you more bass? Was it quiet, ect. Also I had heard that at 14v it would fry the T-Amp? I would consider buying one if it won't fry my T-Amp, also can you give a link to purchase it.

The DELL supply provides all the juice the t-amp needs and doesn't introduce any noise into the system.

It has just as much bass as my more powerfull AMP1-B's at the same volume level.

I was playing a 4ohm load well into clipping at the tightly regulated 14v and my amp didn't fry, so 14v is completely safe.

Here is the link......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6883473304&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

It says "buy it now" for $12, but if you send him a best offer for $9 he should accept it, he has for me twice now. The auction says the supplies are used but the one I received looked like it was never used.

If you do get the supply and notice a hum when using it, break off the ground prong from the IEC cord your using. The supplies negative is coupled to the AC ground and can cause a ground loop issue depending on your setup.

One more thing about that supply, the plug is not the 2.5mm barrel plug the SI takes. It is very easy to replace if you own a solder iron. Just take an old wall-wart style adapter I'm sure you have laying around with a 2.5mm plug that fits the SI, even if its not the right voltage, and cut the plug off. Take a sharp razor and cut off the plastic that is molded around the plug and desolder the wires. Now cut the plug off the DELL supply and solder on the new plug, cover with some heat shrink tubing, and your all done. I can show you a pic of what I'm talking about if you need a visual.

Well, I now own 6 of those "DELL LCD" power supplies. I couldn't resist buying more.

I took one apart so it can fit it inside a different chassis and so I could look at its inards. It uses a TOP247Y.

Here is the IC's home page.

http://www.powerint.com/topgxproduct.htm

Here is a link to the specs and schematic of a similar supply to the dell.

http://www.powerint.com/PDFFiles/di21.pdf

It pleased me to see "Audio Amplifiers" at the bottom of the "Applications" list on the home page. :D

Boomtube EX

Lostcause,

I have been thinking about your post about the Boomtube EX.

2 x TA2024......and a sod to modify!..dont bother cracking her open!

I would like to disconnect the subs to get true stereo out to my full size speakers I use with the Boomtube. It seems like I am not getting full bass into my speakers, probably due to a crossover for the boomtube subs. Is there a way to bypass the subs to get true stereo sound?

Thanks for the help!

Tripath07

Re: Boomtube EX

Tripath07 said:
Lostcause,

I have been thinking about your post about the Boomtube EX.

I would like to disconnect the subs to get true stereo out to my full size speakers I use with the Boomtube. It seems like I am not getting full bass into my speakers, probably due to a crossover for the boomtube subs. Is there a way to bypass the subs to get true stereo sound?

Thanks for the help!

Tripath07

Hi, from what I could tell the problem is with the tiny input caps on the satelite amp, they are a deliberately low rating to roll off the base.
The thing appears to be two seperate amps (the input signal is split) this leaves the base amp to look after the sub....but this has unusual output filtering that obviously reduces the mid/upper response.
Like I said....dont bother...it's all crammed into a very small PCB that must suffer from cross-talk and all sorts of power supply issues.:dead:
It's a pretty decent portable amp though for when you are on holiday.....but you do get you're bags checked when they see a cylindrical electronic device in your hand baggage!.:D

Hi Lostcause,

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like it is too much of a nightmare to attempt to fix. I have to say it sounds very good anyway for what it is, and for $56. I soldered two gold RCA connectors to some really good speaker cables, and have that running to the speakers. That really improved the sound.

I'm getting a Charlize soon!

I have had a 12V 7AH battery running my SI AMP for about a month. It is the best sound so far out of the SI. I will be buying a Samsung power supply next to see if it is better than the $20 SMPS that I purchased from SI.

Here is the link: I heard it sounded good from another thread.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PS-1231/480/12_VDC_3.5_AMP_POWER_SUPPLY_.html

Tripath07,

I really recommend the DELL supply I posted earlier. It has a Samsung made board inside and it is 14v as apposed to the 12v of the one you linked to. In my opinion 2v is a significant enough increase to make a difference.

The dell supply is also cheaper as you can get it for 9$ + $6 shipping + $2 shipping for each additional unit.

Here is a pic of the board removed from its case. I replaced the original two 470uf 35v output caps with Panasonics FC 560uf 35v caps that I just happened to have. I also modified the board a bit to make it rectangle, there was a tab coming off one side for the AC in. The N and L I wrote on the board is for the AC. There was also a metal shield soldered to the ground plane that wrapped around the board, but I took it off because I am putting it in an all metal chassis.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And this pic is just to show how much I like the supply...... I have 5 of them. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.