si t amp with altec model 288c driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am wondering if I could use this amp with my altec model 288c compression drivers. The system is bi amped. The drivers have a rated sensitivity of 115db per watt. I worry that because I am using homemade edgar horns there will be an efficiency decrease. These drivers are also 24 ohms. What that means is that they will be consuming fewer watts. So the amp which is rated at about five watts into eight ohms will only be able to deliver a fraction of that into 24 ohms. Will this limit my volume? I suppose my max will be around 117db. Is that a decent volume?

any other comments about this setup are very welcome.
Thanks
Thaddeus

That will probably be too much, even with 24 Ohm. I had very limited dynamic range with a 4Ohm 96dB driver at low volumes. My experience is that the potentiometer of the T-Amp should be at nine o`clock minimum. A SE 2A3 amp would be a better choice.

PS: There is an ALE midrange compression driver with 120dB and a GOTO with 118.

Eva said:
115dB/W is not a valid sensitivity figure. 112dB/W already corresponds to 100% power efficiency, and practical sensitivy figures for the highest performance compression drivers with horns are below 110dB/W.

The answer to this riddle is that the higher sensitivity figure is given for the driver mounted on a horn. Because of the horn's directivity, the on axis power efficiency can appear to be higher than 100%.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Good: You have a great driver that is very sensitive.
Bad: 24 Ohms. You will be hard pressed to get 2 RMS watts out of the SI.

2 watts may be enough for you, or maybe not.

The Ugly:
The Sonic Impact is a low voltage amp. It runs on 13V max. That has advantages, but not in the case of 24 ohm drivers, they need more voltage (but not more power). Tube amps have much more voltage than you'll ever need, so there is a transformer on the output. Easy to make an output tap for the impedance you want - e.g., 4-8-16 ohms. Not so with the Sonic.
Also, as Brian mentioned, the SI output filter is not designed for 24 ohms so it would need to be altered.

So the great detail and speed of the tripath chip would sound great on your Altecs, but the Sonic is ill adapted to the 24 ohm driver.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jeff mai said:
The answer to this riddle is that the higher sensitivity figure is given for the driver mounted on a horn.

Exactly. Sensitivity is related to directionality. Efficiency is not.

One Watt of acoustical power radiated into free space will give 112dB at 1 meter. That's 112dB thru 360 degrees in all directions. If you can restrict that space - direct all the energy into a smaller slice of the space, you could get more than 112dB for 1 Watt. That's what speakers do.

The most efficient speaker I ever heard was almost 50% efficient and was rated at 115dB/watt 1 meter. That's the giant W.E. 15A horn. Very efficient and focused its energy into a limited space. I don't know of any other speaker more efficient.

what you have said to me makes perfect sense. So to clarify now and forever, when i say anything about sensitivity what I mean is a measurement based on power input and acoustic power output under a given set of conditions. IE anechoic and on axis and x distance etc.

duh.

anyway, this was a pipe dream for now. I will look into that 2A3 suggestion! I figure since having such high efficiency speakers I will be able to play around with tube gear without having to invest too much money in equipment! It is too bad about the 24 ohms though. Why do you suppose that they fevored to have a lower current higher voltage design? Also, I am running them with an NAD integrated reciever set to eight ohms. Is this OK?

Thanks for the help guys, and if i figure out anything especially cool I will let you know.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
tade said:
Also, I am running them with an NAD integrated reciever set to eight ohms. Is this OK?

As I remember, the 8 ohm setting on the NAD gear put the PSU into a slightly higher voltage. So no worries with your 24 ohm driver.

Don't know why the 24 ohm thing on the driver, unless it was made for one of those multi-driver horns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.