Hypex UcD400 reviewed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gapped coils placed like these will produce a stray magnetic field with flux lines perpendicular to the horizontal plane, thus they will only cause induction in other circuits laid across the horizontal plane. The daughter board is intentionally placed in a vertical plane to avoid induction from the coil or from the own tracks of the main PCB, that also produce stray flux lines perpendicular to the horizontal plane (not accounting for ground plane "shorted-turn" effects).

In practice it means that induction will be the minimum possible. Indeed, these "geometry" tricks are quite common in SMPS (and not so common in class D due to the rather clumsy layout abilities of most designers).

Eva, my first UCD amp. I've made in the same way, the modules where a bit nearer to eachother though, and found out 1 channel was influenced by the others modulation. On a scope I could see the modulation change in the other amp.
It is not a very sophisticated way of placing switching devices like this in an audio app. My view though.

How did you measure that? Was there asymmetric cross-talk in the audio band?

Note that you will get induction on the own amplifier wiring and oscilloscope leads if you place them near the coils.

I agree that it's not a great idea to place a modulator just near a coil, but if they must be placed together due to space constraints, that's the best way to do it.

Hi,

Peranders thanks for the link! A translation in English would be wonderful....;)

It's unnecessary to discuss the best way of placing the UcD modules in the amplifier. The amp under review was one of our first samples for demo.

We would do it now in a totally different way (dual mono, BHC Slit foils, separate supply for the buffer op amp, etc....)

The purpose of this demo amp was to show how small you can build an UcD amplifier. And it's easier for reviewers to measure on a complete working amplifier, as on separate modules with transformers and power supplies.

Besides this we hardly find any influence when the amps are mounted very close to each other. However you WILL have problems when you are wiring the amplifiers in the WRONG way.

We have on our website soem recommondations for wiring.

Cheers,

Jan-Peter

Are you performing conducted and radiated EMI measurements on signal, speaker and power wires? Will you use any kind of common mode filtering to match SMPS "quietness" industry standards? That's important because any RF component radiated by wirings will be dependent on the audio signal, and it will be demodulated and turned into audio when picked up by other circuits.

By the way, one trick of which I'm taking advantage in high power class D is to use two series inductors laid in a dipole fashion. That produces inherent stray flux cancellation in the far field.

Eva said:
Are you performing conducted and radiated EMI measurements on signal, speaker and power wires? Will you use any kind of common mode filtering to match SMPS "quietness" industry standards? That's important because any RF component radiated by wirings will be dependent on the audio signal, and it will be demodulated and turned into audio when picked up by other circuits.

By the way, one trick of which I'm taking advantage in high power class D is to use two series inductors laid in a dipole fashion. That produces inherent stray flux cancellation in the far field.

The EMI performance of the UcD amplifiers is very low. Meets easy all standards. We do not use extra common mode filtering.

Our new OEM version (dual UcD180 on one PCB), is having such a low EMI in the 70-110MHz area that these amp can be build together with an internal FM tuner.

Jan-Peter

Originally posted by Jan-Peter [/i]
The purpose of this demo amp was to show how small you can build an UcD amplifier. And it's easier for reviewers to measure on a complete working amplifier, as on separate modules with transformers and power supplies.
The reviewers were greatful to have a working amp. They were also quite pleased, not as skeptical as when they tested one of your competitors (I'm sure you know who).

Originally posted by Jan-Peter [/i]
We have on our website soem recommondations for wiring.
This will save a lot of grief and in particular for the builders. Wiring is not obvoius for a "normal" person and correct wiring is _very_ important if you want to take full advantage of the modules. Compare all gainclone builder with not so good wiring directions. Most problems there is hum problems due to uncorrect wiring. Don't forget to make a sketch for stereo and one transformer.

peranders said:
This will save a lot of grief and in particular for the builders. Wiring is not obvoius for a "normal" person and correct wiring is _very_ important if you want to take full advantage of the modules.
Correct wiring is of utmost importance but there is no golden rule what's best for any situation. You need a proper wiring scheme that will satisfy the basic needs but than there is the fine tuning, even if it changes the whole basics of the scheme, and here the differences are more present when done right for that situation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.