Hypex UcD400 reviewed - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2006, 07:53 PM   #41
IVX is offline IVX  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Oops, i'm sorry..
Old 4th October 2006, 11:16 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Default On the packaging and reselling point...

Quote:
originally quoted by peranders...
I think it's OK to buy highly advanced modules and package them, nothing wrong with that. It takes some skills to marketing also, not everyone are made for that.
Since most DIY skills are beyond the average guy and most high-quality amps are waaaayyyy beyond the average guys budget I see nothing wrong with building up the Hypex modules and reselling them as long as it's well built and the reseller makes clear what's being done with no claims of original genius engineering...

It makes high quality audio (which everybody oughtta have IMHO) within reach of Joe Average. Good mainstream amps are priced thru the roof.

I'm sure you guys have the same experience as I have - that is - people hang out and hear your UCD and ask - where can I get one of those?.

"Oh, dude." You say. "The parts only cost USD600 but, you gotta build them..." Faces fall and people go - "Cool for you, but what a bummer for me."

Is there a general feeling that it's wrong to build a few and pass them on for a few bucks for your trouble building them? Maybe it's a copyright issue, I don't know any of that. But...

It'd be a shame if the average guy gets nothing out of this revolution until some manufacturer starts pumping out compromised implementations.

Really, it ain't that complicated. Except for me, I keep blowing them up... (2 UCD 180's so far)

I'm sure my 400's will go better.

In all seriousness, I'm sure the modded stuff is great but straight UCD's in an affordable package (just as Hypex builds 'em) are yards and miles beyond retail audio.

I think Exodus is doing a great job - USD3500 for a Bryston or USD1000 (or so) for an Exodus - I hope more folks do the same.

Just my USD0.02

Best regards,
Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!