The Ir2110

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And a picture of my best purchase ... a bread board ...... with the IR2110 SODA Amp :)

Attachments

• ir2110.jpg
    ir2110.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 772
fokker said:
looks like a class d amp living happily on a breadboard, something a class d expert said couldn't be done.

Experts who said it couldn't be done were in fact Bruno and Jan-Peter.

What they meant is you're not going to get a 120dB SNR out of it, but it can be done, I'm one of the few who proved it.

You're probably also not going to get 1kw out of a breadboard either. With careful wiring and placement as Eva suggests it's most useful to prove a concept.

Will you ever be through with this "expert said" whining tangent of yours... yawn

Well the goal was certainly not to get a SNR of 120 db .... I'm only using the bread board as a proof of concept, and it's really a gem at that .... experimental time is instantaneous and the cost of changing something is zero, as the components can be reused. :D
And really, it's not that hard to make it work. Long wires and all!

The little amp i running at some 250 kHz. I'll play a little around with it some more before I make the first PCB spin.

Sunknu, keep us posted on your progress.
Is it for an audio amplifier? 180 Vpp is around 500W in 8 ohm :cool:

Baldin said:
Well the goal was certainly not to get a SNR of 120 db .... I'm only using the bread board as a proof of concept, and it's really a gem at that .... experimental time is instantaneous and the cost of changing something is zero, as the components can be reused. :D
And really, it's not that hard to make it work. Long wires and all!

The little amp i running at some 250 kHz. I'll play a little around with it some more before I make the first PCB spin.

Sunknu, keep us posted on your progress.
Is it for an audio amplifier? 180 Vpp is around 500W in 8 ohm :cool:

Since we're talking breadboards I'll give ya few tips I found helpful.

1. Always bend your mosfets/high dissipation components leads in a tripod like fashion. This will give increased support, enough that they can take a fairly big heatsink and not fall over if it should heat up.

2. You really, really need to keep your bridge to coil lead as small as possible... you'll notice a huuuuuge difference just by shortening that up a little bit! If you don't it's just going to be an emi inferno.

What I like best is how easy it is to test, locate, replace burnt components with the breadboard :)

Hi Chris

I of course agree. My point is excatly to promote the use of bread board in the initial stages of a project :) ....... it'll just save you so much time.

About the coil, yes I need to get a smaller coil that will fit directly into the bread board (the leads on the used coils are D1,5 mm):rolleyes:

Does any of you DIYers have a good online source for FETs??
I'm using IRF640, which is ok, but not at all the fastest or best:xeye: Do you know a good source of really fast and relatively cheap FETs?

I'm also trying to find a source of heat conducting tape to use between FETs and cooling. I know tape might not be the most efficient, but it is so much easier to work with if you are to mount more than two FETs in tight spaces. I can see that Lars is using it for his NewClassD modules. But where do I get my hands on a few meters of the stuff??

Thanks in advance:)

PS. Is it me or does it seem that less and less people are working on their own constructions, and more and more are tweeking finished modules! If anyone are working on some of their own, do tell about your project, the progress and your problems ... if any;)

The DIY projects come and go, and only a certain percentage of them are worth following, for as long as it's alive.

Never be shy to take a file to a component or a wire so you can jam it in the breadboard, that's exactly what I did for my coil.

Source for fast cheap mosfets.... Fairchild engineering samples :)

I believe the "tape" you're asking about is known as "Thermasil" by one name, it also has a few others I'm uncertain of offhand, you can look it up on digikey though, they sell it, but not by the roll.

You can recycle those out of computer power supplies like crazy, including the screws /isolators . Not good for production quantity but for a small project it gets the job done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.