Art Taylor 41Hz Amp3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

What do you guys have to say about what art has to offer.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ampbox/page2.html

not cheap,but very nice.

I have been looking for something to take the place of my tubes.I had a Ucd 180 amp amd regret selling it.Sense i am not knowledgeable on how to build one i am forced to buy premade.

I wonder how this design would compare to the Ucd180 amp i had?Much less power i know,but the sound of low watters usually out perform there bigger brothers.

Thanks for any comments

It does look pretty. However it also just looks like an unmodified amp3. I found my amp3 to sound pretty flat until I replaced the input capacitors. If you feel like replacing the input capacitors I would say go for it, it is a pretty easy task. Otherwise maybe not. The amp3 is quite good now with new input capacitors and is definatly better than my tube amp. Before the new capacitors though it sounded somewhat lifeless.
Joe

Josephjcole said:
It does look pretty. However it also just looks like an unmodified amp3. I found my amp3 to sound pretty flat until I replaced the input capacitors. If you feel like replacing the input capacitors I would say go for it, it is a pretty easy task. Otherwise maybe not. The amp3 is quite good now with new input capacitors and is definatly better than my tube amp. Before the new capacitors though it sounded somewhat lifeless.
Joe

Hi Joe,
which kind and value of new input capacitors did you use?

Ciao
Andrea

Obligatto film and foil. The copper ones. They were out of the regular. The copper ones seem nice although they are very large. I also got the paper in oil ones as well, but have yet to try them. I've had a bit of trouble getting up the motivation to remove the film and foil ones as they sound so good.
Joe

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I also use the copper tube Obligatos in my premium amps. Love them!
The paper in oil are also very nice, magic midrange. :)

The black Obbligatos are no longer made because once the copper tube models came out, no one wanted the regular models any more. So they can't meet minimum production runs. Too bad, they were nice and not so huge as the copper version.

Still a good deal, whatever the format.

panomaniac said:
I also use the copper tube Obligatos in my premium amps. Love them!
The paper in oil are also very nice, magic midrange. :)

The black Obbligatos are no longer made because once the copper tube models came out, no one wanted the regular models any more. So they can't meet minimum production runs. Too bad, they were nice and not so huge as the copper version.

Still a good deal, whatever the format.

How did you find the copper tube Obligatos in comparison to the regular film and foil?
Are they really that much better? They certainly are huge, the pair of them are larger than my amp3.
Joe

Obligato caps:
http://diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_ob_caps.htm

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Josephjcole said:
How did you find the copper tube Obligatos in comparison to the regular film and foil?Are they really that much better?

I never did get a chance to compare the 2 styles directly. My stock of old style black Obligatos were gone before the new copper tube came in.

By memory, they seemed very similar, with a slight advantage going to the copper. I do have a demo amp that has the old style caps, so I may be able to compare. It was surprising how "small" they looked when I saw them again.
The copper tube are sooo big.

Sure wish we could talk the guys at DIY Supply into making a run of the old style. Cheap, great sound and not too big.?

bcrescen said:
I used the hole mount capacitors that came with the Amp 3 kit. Can someone provide specifics on how to mount bipolar caps?

Thanks
Bruce

Desolder the old capacitors and discard... Bipolars (I assume we're talking electrolytics) are, as their name suggests, non-polar so fit them where the old ones were. Some people report that putting the supposedly "postive" end (ie, where the roll starts from) toward the source sounds better. This can be identified by the longer lead.

For film caps, it doesn't matter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.