Complete newbie building a 41Hz AMP6 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2006, 06:05 PM   #21
niiico is offline niiico  France
diyAudio Member

I perfectly understood...

But the 2A slow blow doesn't support a lot of on and off... After 2 or 3, it blows.

I need to buy those 5A we were talking about, on the amp side, after the toroid ;-)
Old 13th September 2006, 09:58 PM   #22
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Niico,
Either of those Solen caps will work. The MKP type will cost a lot less and be easier to find.

Have you guys read the forums over on the 41hz.com site? I think there is mention of the fuse size over there. It seems that Jan forgot to change his testing fuse size when he wrote the AMP6 documentation.

200mA works well for AMP3, but AMP6 has such big cap that it blows anything less than about 2 amps when it charges up. I use a 3A fuse, no problems. You might be able to use a 500mA slow fuse for testing, I have not tried it.

Putting the fuse just before the rectifier bridge is the best place for it.
Old 14th September 2006, 07:13 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Yes Pano, you must be right.

But I don't understand why in my Amp, the inrush current is so high that the 2A slo blow fuse blows after 2 or 3 switch to on.

Do you think it may be the stiffener cap that is doing this? When switching on, I "charge" :
15000+1800+10000+some small values = 27000µF but I don't know what energy it represents.

Everytime I switch on, I can see a spark inside the fuse, which is fatal after 2 or 3 times.

Pano, do you have the same thing in your AMP6. I know you too have a 10000µF stiffener cap?

Last question, about the Solen caps: do they make the treble less "tiring"? After listening the amp for 2 hours yesterday (at an higher volume that the first time (which was at 1:00AM...)), I find that the trebles may be maybe just a little (but a just little!) tiring and I wonder if the input caps can make it a little "smoother", less bright, without loosing the details (which is what I like a lot in this Amp).
Old 14th September 2006, 11:24 AM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

Salut Niiico,
I don't think that it is the stiffner cap that is causing the big inrush current because it is behind the regulator. You do have it past the regualtor, right? It will add a little to the inrush, but not much.

No, it's that 10000uF cap after the rectifier bridge that really hurts. A 2 amp fuse does not work for me. And you have a nice big transformer that can supply lots of current - that is also putting a stress on your poor little fuse.
You should have a 3A or even 5A fuse. 2 amps is too small.

As for the highs (aigu) being a little harsh, yes, you can cure that with a good input cap. If you want really nice smooth sound, low distortion, find a Sic-Safco (made in France) oil cap. Or buy one of the very nice new Obbligato paper in oil caps form Hong Kong. Your ears will thank you for it.

The T-amps can become harsh is you drive them into clipping. Unlike a tube amp, clipping on the T-Amps sounds very bad. You won't notice a little bit of clipping, but too much will hurt your ears.
Old 14th September 2006, 02:28 PM   #25
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Harsh Highs

Solens to my ears in my components are bright. Panomanic;s suggestion for other selection of input caps should be heeded.

I have used Auricaps and I like the sound. I also have used Blackgates. I prefer either to Solens. YMMV
Old 14th September 2006, 06:17 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

The Solen caps are made by SCR in France.

And my opinion is that the Solen seems to be not much different from the SCR we find here...

I have some SCR caps in my speaker filters, so I know it's not too bad in the "highs" (thank you Pano for correcting my bad english :-) But I know people who find them awfull... As always said, YMMV (thanks Davet for your opinion)

I think I will have to try different brands to let my ears judge what is best.
Old 15th September 2006, 10:32 AM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

The Solen caps are nice. For me, I think the Janzten caps from Danmark are a little better - not has harsh.

There are a number of posts on this forum where I and others discuss input coupling caps for the T-amps.
My favorites are t he Obbligoto caps from Hong Kong. Both types are good, and very similar. Good price, too! But very, very BIG.

Caps that also sound nice:
AudioCap Theta
Auricap
Jantzen

Caps that are "OK"
Panasonic film
Sonicaps (maybe)

I don't care too much for Blackgate, but they are better than stock electrolytics.

Quote:
Originally posted by niiico
(thank you Pano for correcting my bad english :-)
"Treble" is just fine English. In fact, I thik it's a better term than "highs". But it seems that audio geeks don't use it much. Maybe it doesn't sound technical enough.
Old 18th September 2006, 09:45 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to gertrude54
Quote:
Originally posted by panomaniac
My favorites are t he Obbligoto caps from Hong Kong. Both types are good, and very similar. Good price, too! But very, very BIG.
What's the best way to fit these huge caps (i have bought the big copper ones) to an Amp 6? A picture of an amp6 with the caps inside an enclosure would be nice
Old 18th September 2006, 07:34 PM   #29
diyAudio Moderator

I use a horzontal capacitor clip made by Mallory.
In the USA it can be found at www.mouser.com Part 539-TH25. If can see it at the bottom of this Mouser PDF catalog page. It is clip "C".

You should be able to find something like it in Europe.

The Mallory clip is a little too large for the Obbligato, but once you tighten it down, the clip pulls tighter. If you are really clever (like me) you can choose just the right length screw to come up from the bottom of the clip so that the ssrew end will push into the copper case and ground it.
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:05 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

I've read this thread (and many others) with great interest
since I too am a complete newbie about to embark on
this adventure.

Actually I've purchased two kits. I plan to build one stock,
with the other for experimentation.

I'm thinking of order some Obbligato caps from diyhifisupply.
Has anybody had any problems with their shipping? (I'm
only asking because I read in another thread that someone
had a major delay in getting some parts.)

Cheers,
Dennis

Hide this!Advertise here!