Another T-amp or an amp 6?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Calling my first modded t-amp dead, I have to decided to get another one, or upgrade to an amp 6.

The t-amp will be easier, since my set up is all set for it, and will run about $30 shipped.

The amp6 would be fun to build, but is ~$50 and then I would need a transformer adding ~$20 - $30

So, Is the amp6 worth almost double or triple the cost? Can I use my existing SMPS with it, somehow bypassing the onboard PS? thanks

tripath chip replacement

hi, just a change of tack here, does anyone know where and how much a replacement chip is as used in the charlise amp?.

I got a charlise from yoe but it overheats and distorts when a batt and speakers are connected.

I had no reply to my e mails about a replacement, so can any one ellighten me? the chip number is : TRIPATH TA2020-020

thanks

johnny 555 :cannotbe:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
You can try to email jan at 41hz.com (he runs the www.41hz.com site), tell him about your predicament, and ask if you can purchase a single TA2020 chip.

Since you have a Charlize instead of his Amp6 he may or may not let you purchase a chip from him. It's worth a try though and Jan is a really nice guy.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The only reason not to use it would be if you wanted to use the on board regulator. It shouldn't be hard at all to use it with the amp6. Just do what I said in the second post of this thread. Michael would probably be willing to give you more specifics as I've never actually seen the amp6 board.

Re: tripath chip replacement

johnny555 said:
hi, just a change of tack here, does anyone know where and how much a replacement chip is as used in the charlise amp?.

I got a charlise from yoe but it overheats and distorts when a batt and speakers are connected.

I had no reply to my e mails about a replacement, so can any one ellighten me? the chip number is : TRIPATH TA2020-020

thanks

johnny 555 :cannotbe:

I got one here

http://www.electronix.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/6_310/products_id/12950

hi john

this is yeo from diyparadise here. my business partner brought my attention to this mail.

sorry for the late reply. i was in china whole of last week and only got back last saturday night. catching up on a lot of things now...

i spoke to my business partner. he doesn't mind sending you a replacement chip but we are wondering what mods have you done to your charlize? if you mod the output section (filter caps, inductors), there is a possibility of screwing up this section, thus causing the chip to oscillate.

we know this as during development of the aircore inductors, we went through many rounds (of the chip oscillating!) before arriving at the current version.

feel free to write me again as i can't seem to locate your mail now.

donjuan

hi yoe, how was china?

Dear Yoe,

Thanks for ther reply, I have not modfied charlise other than cosmetic stuff like binding posts and my own case and a bit of silver wire on the i/p side, no mods to the components have been made, it really seems like the chip in my opinion, i got 2 from you, the other one is wonderfull so it seem like the chip, if you e mail me at : jogden3@excite.com ill give you my address, thanks your a gent.

ps your not complentateing a kit for the grounded grid stage for the charlise?:D

hi john

can you check whether there's anything wrong with the filter parts? say bad solder joint etc? particularly around the inductor area? any component leads that is on the verge of breaking?

asking this as if the output filtering components has problems, then changing the chip will not solve the problem.

intend to offer iron sets for the gg.

donjuan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.