Some charlize/smps questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today i received a Charlize, I have it set up with the SMPS PSU from Decibel Dungeon

My first query is about the 10000uF capacitor on the PSU outputs. I have fitted a cheap 'Jamicon' cap as its all I have :(. Is this capacitor necessary? And would there be a noticeable improvement from using a higher quality Panasonic for example?

The second problem I have is with the 10 watt 10 ohm wire wound resister on the 5v rail. It is getting very hot, too hot to touch.. is it ok?

Finally, I'm trying to decide weather to change the input caps tonite, or to wait until it is fully 'burnt' in. The caps are 2.2uf Obligatto.

Thank You :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Code,
How do your caps look? I'd worry about those, but being unfamiliar with that amp design I will defer to an expert if one pops up.

I don't see a problem with posting about a blown up amp kit. A straight cap question may have been covered before in another thread. The search function is in the middle of the top right bar of buttons.

-Chris

Just plugged it in after the repair, no positive improvement :(

The only change, is that now both tweeters make a ticking noise while the amp is powered up.

Has anyone experienced a similar fault?

edit: The output terminals register as shorted with my multimeter, i assume this must be a problem?

searching suggests the ticking could be the digital ground loop.

edit number 2:

woooowwow i really am a bit of a dumbarse..

/realises the plate holding the connectors is a conductor...
ahh

Code said:
Just plugged it in after the repair, no positive improvement :(

The only change, is that now both tweeters make a ticking noise while the amp is powered up.

Has anyone experienced a similar fault?

edit: The output terminals register as shorted with my multimeter, i assume this must be a problem?

searching suggests the ticking could be the digital ground loop.

/realises the plate holding the connectors is a conductor...
ahh

If the output terminals are shorted, then, the SMD diodes might be faulty too. ...Start removing the diode one by one to check for short.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.