Pre-modded T-Amp or equivalent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've hunted around a bit for info or an appropriate thread to hijack, but haven't been successful.

I have a T-Amp that I use in my PC setup with some nice DIY fullrangers and absolutely love it. I'm wanting to expand my use of the tech, but don't have the time or skill to mod the amp the way I would like.

I'm looking for either a prebuilt amp that is still relatively inexpensive or someone that would be willing to mod a T-Amp or two for me. All I want is whatever it takes to get rid of the <100Hz rolloff that the baseline T-Amp exhibits, bypass the pot to make the thing a power amp, and possibly an upgrade to the resevoir capacitors. I don't need or want expensive components. Just solid, standard grade ones. I don't need RCA connectors (though I won't complain if they come inexpensively). I don't need a new case (I plan to hide the amps anyway).

I know the Super-T is out there, but $140 is really too much for the thing, especially since I don't want the volume control or the larger, machined aluminum case. I would probably just buy one of those if they could be had for <$100 (so if anyone knows of a super discounted supplier, please link here :) ). Are there any other prebuilts out there in the <$100 range?

Anyone willing to such a modding job for ~$70 total (including T-Amp and new parts)? I would be willing to buy two like that ($150, including shipping is pretty much the extent of my budget).

Thanks,
Kensai

You may be deafened by the silence following your request!...

"Anyone willing to such a modding job for ~$70 total (including T-Amp and new parts)? "...

I suggest that you would be seriously undervaluing the time, skill, and inconvenience involved of anyone potentially able or motivated to do the work...

If you DID have the skills and time to be able to do such work, would YOU feel motivated to do this work (rather than projects from which you yourself would benefit), given the constraints you have quoted?... I suspect not!...

Keefe.

Hi Kensai

I have to say your 'proposition' sounds about as inviting as a dentist. Seriously have you thought that through? $150 right so $50 to buy 2 t-amps then $100 to buy new caps etc, and spend the time to mod a couple of these things. I would say i spent 10 hrs at least messing around with my first SI. ok you could probably do all in a couple of hrs but then one slip with the iron and thats killed it.

Put another way like keef says, no-one in there right mind would do that, and one has to say it is a little rude to ask in a way.

Just my thoughts, the point is if you dont have the moeny to do it DIY which is the whole point of this forum anyway. I cant afford, or am not willing, never sure which, to spent themoeny to get a named brand top flight hifi. So I DIY, i suggest you do the same, you never know you might find you enjoy it.

phil

pre-modded T-amp

OK, while I am/was in the same situation. I can mod stuff, but for me getting appropriate parts is a RPITA.

I just bought a "Virgin Booomtube" off of ebay, the standard one for use with my computer. I may modify it. it was cheap enough, at $28 usd

I have no idea how it may compare, but if a mod is needed, at least it comes with a "nice " aluminum enclosure. Perhaps binding posts and some different caps, If not all surface mount (I have never worked on SM componenets).

I really don't know what a direct comparison would do, but at least I get some full range drivers as well and a headphone amp. All I need do then is a good toggle for a selector, another for on/off operation (or add a relay to the stock setup)

I won't tell you who put the AMP3 together, but everyone here knows him.

Hmmmmm, with so many members here I wonder who could it be:D

My ESP tells me he lives on an island in the Pacific Ocean named Hawaii or Howiee or something like that. First name is Michael or something similar and is a very helpfull kind of person. I am also getting a message about squid or octopus or something.
Maybe he likes Calamari?

Andrew

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Re: beep...wrong

panomaniac said:
I won't tell you who put the AMP3 together, but everyone here knows him. ;)
Andrewbee said:
My ESP tells me he lives on an island in the Pacific Ocean named Hawaii or Howiee or something like that. First name is Michael or something similar and is a very helpfull kind of person. I am also getting a message about squid or octopus or something.
Maybe he likes Calamari?
amt said:
Michael, better give 'em another clue.

All right, so who's the culprit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.