Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2006, 08:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring the IR2011 Correctly

Hi everyone...This is my first time building an amp so any help would be really appreciated. I tried searching the forum but I couldn't find any posts to help me out.

I got the pwm signal(both inverted and noninverted and both correctly level shifted to -15V low to -10 V high) to correctly propagate to the ir2011 mosfet driver. But the waveform from the ir2011 feeding the mosfets seem to be incorrect. The ir2011 is wired as shown below in the schematic.
Click the image to open in full size.
I am uncertain as to why the the high side mosfet waveform is the way it is. I thought the signal should be just the inverted version of the low side mosfet waveform. The attached picture shows the output from the oscilloscope. The top waveform input to the mosfet attached to the +15V rail and the bottom is attached to the -15 rail. Any help would be deeply Appreciated. Thanks.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th April 2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
You're starving it man!!

Ditch R20, R21, you're not using 50Vdc rails here, seriously not needed.

Then make sure you've some method to to allow pre charge of bootstrap to occure. Hint here, try tying a ~4.7K from Vs to -15.

You'll then need a delay before enabling oscillation, or do like IR and kick the low side mosfet on first.. see the circuit they use for that "start up circuit".

That should get something happening. You'll probably want to increase the bootstrap cap in value to at least 1 to 10uF according to what others had good luck with.

Try that and see what smokes,
Chris
Old 6th April 2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Pierre is offline Pierre  France
Banned

R20 is likely causing no problems, at most a 0.5V reduction in the chip's VCC, not enough to do harm. R21 is not necessary, I would leave it out.
For the bootstrap cap, I would recommend 1uF.

In order to measure the upper mosfet gate drive, tie the oscilloscope GND to source of M1 and the tip to its gate. Be sure that your oscilloscope GND is isolated from the PSU's GND or you will effectively be shorting the output to GND and... bang!
Old 6th April 2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Quote:
Originally posted by Pierre
R20 is likely causing no problems, at most a 0.5V reduction in the chip's VCC, not enough to do harm.

It would really do little harm to take it out too I'd imagine. In this case .. without seeing the rest of the circuit, there's no idea if he's holding inputs low for a short time before "enabling" them or just letting it rip. Since 0V is the only precharge path we may as well speed it up, the diode will take it.
Old 9th April 2006, 09:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. I removed the 4.7 ohm resister, added capacitors to the +/-15 rails and changed the diode to MURS120. I originally used a fast response diode but i think this one is much better. And now it's working perfectly. I'm building on breadboard so the output is a bit noisely but I'm still amazed at how good it sounds it definately packs a pretty good puch. I also have one more question. I connected the rails to +/- 15 just to test out the circuit, should i put the 4.7 ohm resister back when i connect the circuit to +/- 50 rail. Thanks.
Niroshan

P.S. I will post the completed schematics of the entire circuit very soon.

Hide this!Advertise here!