Sharlize 2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why spend $80 for an assembled amp when you can spend $30 and do it yourself?

Going by the posts regarding lack of support both on the 41HZ website and others it my be $50.00 well spent.

I was thinking about an Amp 5 but after reading the posts decided against it.

If Yeo came up with somthing similar "powerwise" to the Amp 5 that sounded as good as Charlize, he would get my money... again.

Andrew

Jan's kits work perfectly fine IF the user can follow the instructions and assemble them properly!

I have no reason to doubt you and never said otherwise.

I wrote of support issues which would include persons that can follow the instructions and assemble the kits properly yet they do not work for whatever reason or they may may have questions.

Andrew

BWRX, it's that great big IF that worries me. I once was very good at soldering. My eyesight is reasonable, just the near focus problem that comes with middle age.

So, what equipment do I need to do smd properly and what sort of prior practice would you recommend? I was thinking of removing and replacing smds from old soundcards and seeing if they still worked.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Well, the amp6 uses through hole components. It's the amp3 that uses almost completely surface mount parts.

As I've said before, I prefer to use a chisel tipped iron for soldering smds. The easiest way to do it is to put some flux on the pads with a flux pen, position the part with tweezers, get a little bit of solder on the iron tip, hold the part down with the tweezers, tack one side of the part down with the small amount of solder on the iron tip, solder the other side normally, then go back and do the first side if the joint isn't very good. The flux makes the solder flow better and more easily giving you nicer joints on the first try. It's harder to get good joints without flux but it can be done. All you can do to get better is practice. If you really can't see small stuff that well then a magnifying glass/light setup would be very beneficial.

Going by the posts regarding lack of support both on the 41HZ website and others it my be $50.00 well spent.

In defense of Jan, I think he does an excellent job considering everything he has to deal with. He just opened a new forum for customer support only, so he is trying his best to improve any support issues there have been.

I recently killed three AMP1-B's and needed three new TA2022 chips. I emailed him about price, paypaled him the money, and received the chips all within a 4 day period. If that isn't good service I dont know what is.

The prices of his kits are more than reasonable and he does a wonderful job packaging them. The AMP1-B's were my first electronics project of any kind let alone SMD work and I got all 3 amps together and working without a single problem, so an AMP3 or AMP6 should be cake.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have middle age eyes, too and find simple magnifying reading glasses to be a big help. The stronger the lens, the nearer you can focus. I have a pair for general work, and a stronger pair for very close.

As for SMD, BWRX is young, clever and agile, he can handle it no worries. As for the likes of us, I suggest the AMP6 as it uses thru hole parts. Easy to build. Sounds great, too!

Maybe I can post some tips on AMP6 building here or on the wiki or on my site. As I've built a few, there are things to be learned that will make the job easier, faster.

Ahhhh... When I was young I used to build circuits between the pins of DIP ICs. We didn't have SMDs back then. Such great tiny stuff!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.