Sonic Impact

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For C10 you want something in the range of 400-1000uF. Low ESR is important here. If you go with a bigger cap, it might not be fast enough - low enough ESR.

I do like the sound of a big power supply cap, but added off board. There you can go as big as you like. Put in one of those 1F car sound stiffener caps, if you dare!!!

So ideally what you get is a 3 tier effect. The little SMD caps right near the pins, a medium size low ESR cap a little farther away (c10), than a big honkin' stiffener cap off bard (but close). Each tier plays its part.

Puffin said:
Thanks for that. Someone in another thread tried to explain where to connect the "stiffener" cap, but I am still not clear. Do you run leads from the under side of C10 (both + and -) (leaving C10 in place) and then connect up to the stiffener cap ?

The obvious place is to connect them where you took them off but yes, attach the wires to the new cap and you get the same effect. You can connect under the board (as I do) or on top, it doesn't really matter.
If your new cap is too big to fit between the inductors then put it underneath and connect the wires to the leads sticking out at the top. Personally I don't like having the cap sitting between those radiating inductors so ....well you know what I do.
Have a good read through this thread and the other one I pointed you towards and you can pick your favourite! There are pictures and schematics of every modification, whether it's the power caps the inductors or the input caps.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.