Its time one of you guys make some money!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys I know a bunch of people want these new t path amps. I want to do one but I only have ~2 hours a day to listen as it is (working 12 hour nights and 4-5 hours each day! Unfortunately not changing for quite some time). I see RWA (SA based) and Octa amps (41 HZ based) I might go with this if noone like this will make the DIYParadise stuff. What do you think? I personally would get a charlize/monica duo. Oh well might just be wishful thinking for the immediate future.

Maybe he wants to be the middleman:D You build it, and he will sell it to his friends, at a small markup, of course.

More seriously, he has a point. The traditional amp makers must be extremely worried right now. I'm totally sold on "Class D" If I was retired (or rich), I would probably spend all day in my shop designing and building high-efficiency speakers, and now I would add building small D amps to go with those speakers.

Doug

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can we say "Red Wine Audio"?

I do make a bit of money selling the Octopus amps and modified Super-Ts. But they aren't cheap. Cheaper than a lot of the crazy tube amps out there, tho. The class-d stuff is a true bargin in the Audiophile world.

The real T-amp bargin is the Super-T. It cost less than the parts in my Octopus Amps and sounds very nice. I'd say it gets you 80% there, for a really good price. But like everything else in Audio (and bikes, surf boards, computers) that last 20% is where it's going to cost you..:yummy:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
panomaniac said:
The real T-amp bargin is the Super-T. It cost less than the parts in my Octopus Amps and sounds very nice.

They are mass produced, so one would only expect it to cost less! I'm sure they're making a bit more profit from the Super-T than they did from the original SI even though there are more parts and a metal box.

Like we always say at work, quality work takes quality time ;)

Hi guys, no I dont want a to be a middleman I would just like redwine, panoramic or other to offer a expanded line of what they are selling. The super T might be nice but a Charlize (maybe even dual Charlize and a Monica Dac in the same chassis with the usual audiophile tweeks would be killer. Not much has been said and done with internal dac/tpaths yet. I know Vinney will do it and that might be what I end up with but so far none use the charlize board. I think we will see more especially because I think alot of people are willing to pay for a "reference" TPath considering the price will still be a fine value.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
But would it? If you charge properly, your time for each kit should be charged at the going rate, over here that would be about £30 an hour, say 3 hours per amp, that adds £90 to the price instantly. Plus all the other costs, delivery, support, warranty returns, etc, and the problem that if an amp is sold on the open market it needs to be fully certified for EMC and safety, and it no longer would be quite such a bargain.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
A "reference" Tripath eh... You mean something like this? ;)

I just finished tweaking the layout tonight and will order the boards sometime next week. It uses most of the same parts as the amp3 kits Jan offers as well as different ones and some extra parts that will raise it to the "reference" level (I think so anyway :cool: ).

Attachments

• ta2021bwv1.4.gif
    ta2021bwv1.4.gif
    41 KB · Views: 960
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Well, I won't have enough time to make complete amps, but if there's enough demand I may try to offer kits or partially assembled kits (with the chip already soldered for a little more).

I plan on building 4 and sending a couple out for people to demo. The other two are mine for experimentation :devilr: I'll start another thread when I actually finish building the boards with more information, but as a preview these boards will feature output offset adjustment, input overload and fault status LEDs, a very configurable power supply section with the option of having a regulator for each of the 5 sections (inputs, analog driving stage, and outputs) and your choice of supply for each section (battery, linear, smps), a start-up delay circuit that keeps the outputs muted while the input caps charge so there's no pop when you turn it on, and configurable mute and sleep jumpers. Also the option for better output filter components. There should be enough room for polyprop output caps and aircore inductors should someone want to try those out.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I use the free version of Eagle on my mac (you also have to download and install X11 to run it). The maximum board size you can do in the free version is 100mm x 80mm, but thankfully projects like this can be fit onto boards this size :) It's great software with some pretty nice features. It doesn't have quite the capabilities of something like OrCAD Capture and Layout, but I sure like its interface a lot better!

Brian,
That would be great if you could offer those boards as kits at a reasonable price. I like my amp3, but it would be great to have someone offering kits stateside, especially if they are a sonic improvement. Keep us posted on your progress, and if you ever want a kit tester let me know.
Joe

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I've already got a few testers in mind but I'll sure keep you in mind if I want some more opinions about the amp :)

I'm putting in an order for the boards tonight, so I need to get in gear and order parts too! Then I just need to build them up. Like I said before, I'll start a new thread when I get one up and running. According to my calculations that should be in about one month.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.