Its time one of you guys make some money! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2006, 12:44 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

A pcb with the smd stuff already in would suit me, probably many others as well.

Would it be feasable for some independant designers to get together and between them commission assembled boards that could form an impressive system? If I could buy ready made modules for class D amps, non os dacs and pre-amps at a low price I wouldn't care that much about low cost resistors/capacitors in critical places if the board had been designed to allow easy modding. Means I could start with a fairly decent low cost system (that worked) and upgrade with better components as and when the budget allowed. Once I had done all the upgrades it would be killer.

I do understand that circuit designers also have bills to pay. Not trying to get something for nothing but the 90 labour charge for 1 item would get heaps more built in an assembly factory once the economies of scale were realised. (I mean just modules, no cases, psu etc.) The designers would be designing new products instead of building already established modules.

I've no idea just how many units have to be ordered for a significant price drop, anyone know?
Old 30th March 2006, 11:20 PM   #22
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Soldering SMDs really isn't too hard. It just takes a little practice. It's also much easier if you use flux and a nice flat tipped iron.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnthedoctor
Would it be feasable for some independant designers to get together and between them commission assembled boards that could form an impressive system?
It would be possible, but not very practical. Location, time, and cost are of course very real issues

Quote:
the 90 labour charge for 1 item would get heaps more built in an assembly factory once the economies of scale were realised.
That's true, but you have to remember that there is usually a significant start-up cost involved as well. I for one don't have the stability to plunk down a wad of money to have them made then hope that they all sell. That might be a venture better suited to a group of people that can pool funds. The idea of having them assembled did cross my mind but I never

Quote:
I've no idea just how many units have to be ordered for a significant price drop, anyone know?
I don't know, but I'm sure it's no small quantity.
Old 31st March 2006, 04:25 AM   #23
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I don't see why we need more modules, there is already a large choice just in the Tripath camp. For example, Autocostuire, Charlize, Fenice, 41Hz, Sonic Impact and maybe Brian will have one soon. Spoiled for choice, really.

There are also a tons of DIY DAC and preamp choices out there, too.
Old 31st March 2006, 04:46 AM   #24
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
What someone should do is sell a fully completed 100W+ Tripath amp at low profit margins (maybe 10%). i would do it if I have time but too bad i don't.
Old 31st March 2006, 10:00 AM   #25
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
what someone should do is give me a million dollars
Old 31st March 2006, 10:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by classd4sure
what someone should do is give me a million dollars
That's the smartest thing I've ever heard anyone say... ever.
Old 31st March 2006, 05:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by panomaniac
maybe Brian will have one soon. Spoiled for choice, really.
We are spoiled for choice thanks to forums like this and designers willing to spend some time and effort to put a product out there.

A kit for my board would definitely be feasible. Hand assembled amps in very small quantities may also be possible - I can do it no problem but time is a precious commodity nowadays (job, girlfriend, other audio projects , etc.). I don't know about you guys but I do this stuff simply because I really enjoy doing it. Making money while doing it is just a nice byproduct.
Old 31st March 2006, 10:48 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Just curious here, with the right tools for smd work and a few months of practice, how many 41hz Amp3 kits could be built in a 30 hour working week?
Old 31st March 2006, 10:57 PM   #29

I don't know, but I've built four amp3s minus the toroids in about 2.5 hours in the past with no flux, and just a standard soldering iron with a good tip. Winding the toroids and stripping the varnish off the leads takes a good deal of time too.
Old 1st April 2006, 12:04 AM   #30
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Could probably put together one amp3 board in a couple hours.

Hide this!Advertise here!