looking for the most "bang for buck" classD kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well the headline says it all.

i'm interested in two as my subs need some propper juice.
in the area of 300w at 8ohms would be good.

amp2 from http://www.41hz.com/ looks good, but thats gonna set me back 180 euro+shipping, costums and a powersuply. so i'm looking at 350 euro here i would say, not something a student just pulls out of his a.., shal we say back pocket? :)

i'm lookig into smps now as well, and have gotten the crazy notion of building my own in time, and probably will, to compiment these amps.

i tried looking for threads conserning the price of kits, but i didn't find any. so lets start one, comparing what we get :)

-Marius

edit: just saw the amp 2 was a rwochannel one, which changes things, but i'm still gonna need one for each sub. (but now i can bridge them :D )

i have seen your modules, but i cant see a price there?

if buying something unassembled can save me a few bucks. then that the rout i'l take, and theres maintaining the diy aspect offcorce. it just feels better to have done at least the soldering yourself. the wireing is the dull part.

-marius

edit: since this is not a commercial forum may i suggest we take this discussion over mail?

i have the mail option activated.

watts cost money, quality costs money, quality watts cost even more money, DIY or not.

If watts are more important to you, you can use dumpster parts if you like to achieve your goal, odds are you'll be giving up a little on the quality.

If quality is more important, you can skimp on watts and get better parts that will help you achieve your goal.

Wiring these things is not entirely trivial, boring sure, but don't make the mistake of overlooking it, not even just for sub use.

I have no idea what they cost, but you might be interested in the sub woofer only plate amps from Adire audio.

hi classd4shure

while what you say is absolutly true, there are still places to save some money. for example i could get a pcb only, and get my parts through school or work, sample programs or what not.
and something made in china is probably gonna cost you a ltle less that if it's made up north.

but.. i just cant seem to find any other that 41hz.com for kits.
if anyone has some tips for me, i'd me most greatful.

-Marius

Take a look at Sure Electronics. I've been buying from those guys for years and the quality is great. I was originally going to build some class D amps with the TI chips, but I couldn't even get bare fabs made for what an assembled and tested amplifier shipped from China cost. I haven't tried these Sure Electronics' webstore 2 X 100Watt Class-D Audio Amplifier Starter TDA7498 w MW 24V 120W Power Adapter, but it's a whole amplifier with a power supply and a nice looking enclosure for a hundred bucks. They've got crazy prices for test equipment too.

well the headline says it all.

i'm interested in two as my subs need some propper juice.
in the area of 300w at 8ohms would be good.

amp2 from http://www.41hz.com/ looks good, but thats gonna set me back 180 euro+shipping, costums and a powersuply. so i'm looking at 350 euro here i would say, not something a student just pulls out of his a.., shal we say back pocket? :)

i'm lookig into smps now as well, and have gotten the crazy notion of building my own in time, and probably will, to compiment these amps.

i tried looking for threads conserning the price of kits, but i didn't find any. so lets start one, comparing what we get :)

-Marius

edit: just saw the amp 2 was a two channel one, which changes things, but i'm still gonna need one for each sub. (but now i can bridge them :D )

You might want to try to search ebay or other auction sites with search strings like "amp diy kit".

Beware that the power transformer may be the largest single expense.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.