Tda8924 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Koper
Default Tda8924

Hello!

I've got some of the Philips TDA8924 - 2x120W class D power amps. I'm asking if it is worth to build something with them? Is the schematic on the datasheet optimal or I must go on the different way?

If someone used this chip - wat is the sound quality of the given amp?

Cheers
__________________
Some are born with more and some born with less so don't take for granted the life we've been blessed it's hard to understand thet we're only a guest and each one of us shall be put to life's test.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 02:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin....what did you expect?
Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
I'm bumping this. I need a subwoofer amplifier!
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 03:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Reston, Virginia
Click the image to open in full size.

I used a modified version of the layout in the 8920 datasheet, and the amp seems to work fine. I haven't really done much with it yet, but it runs cool and seems to be a good amp.

I had trouble with the inductor getting hot using a 7A JW Miller 2100 series device, but switching to a 2200 series low-loss coil did the trick.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 04:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin....what did you expect?
Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Davis
Click the image to open in full size.

I used a modified version of the layout in the 8920 datasheet, and the amp seems to work fine. I haven't really done much with it yet, but it runs cool and seems to be a good amp.

I had trouble with the inductor getting hot using a 7A JW Miller 2100 series device, but switching to a 2200 series low-loss coil did the trick.

I'm pretty new to DIY anything. Expect dumb questions to ensue.

I presume that the Miller object you refer to is the output inductor?

Also, do you think this would be a reasonably easy 1st Class-D project for someone with decent soldering ability (providing he's not using his craptastical soldering iron with corroded tip)?

I'd need some practice with SMD work, but it's hard to argue with the output power!
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 12:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Reston, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Spasticteapot

Also, do you think this would be a reasonably easy 1st Class-D project for someone with decent soldering ability (providing he's not using his craptastical soldering iron with corroded tip)?

I'd need some practice with SMD work, but it's hard to argue with the output power!

There are a couple of traces that go between SMD component pads, so you need to have good SMD soldering skills and the right equipment. However, there is nothing smaller than 0805 SMD chips, so it is possible to hand solder if you have a temperature-controlled iron with a fine tip. I wouldn't characterize this as an easy project, but it was easier to do than I expected.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 01:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin....what did you expect?
Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Davis


There are a couple of traces that go between SMD component pads, so you need to have good SMD soldering skills and the right equipment. However, there is nothing smaller than 0805 SMD chips, so it is possible to hand solder if you have a temperature-controlled iron with a fine tip. I wouldn't characterize this as an easy project, but it was easier to do than I expected.
I'll try something else, then.
Can you reccomend an alternative for a subwoofer amplifier? The quality need not be astounding - distortion is usually lower at low frequencies, anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 03:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Reston, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Spasticteapot

Can you reccomend an alternative for a subwoofer amplifier?
I have no idea what your objectives are and what constraints you have, so I can't make a recommendation. However, I can point out that due to the high manufacturing volume, the subwoofer plate amps available at MCM, PE, Apexjr, etc are hard to beat--there is no way the DIY'er can build something comparable at the same price. Take a look at my plate amp modification page. There's no Class D stuff there, but there are some ideas that you may be able to use.
Plate amp modification page

My page for DIY plate amps is at: DIY plate amps

In the next update cycle I will add the TDA8920 amp details. But that won't be until I have put it through some testing, and I don't know when that will happen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 06:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin....what did you expect?
Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Davis


I have no idea what your objectives are and what constraints you have, so I can't make a recommendation. However, I can point out that due to the high manufacturing volume, the subwoofer plate amps available at MCM, PE, Apexjr, etc are hard to beat--there is no way the DIY'er can build something comparable at the same price. Take a look at my plate amp modification page. There's no Class D stuff there, but there are some ideas that you may be able to use.
Plate amp modification page

My page for DIY plate amps is at: DIY plate amps

In the next update cycle I will add the TDA8920 amp details. But that won't be until I have put it through some testing, and I don't know when that will happen.
I have a bunch of transformers, capacitors, and whatnot handy. Also, I'm building an active filter for my Gainclone, so adding a mixer and low-pass filter would not be too hard.

The plate-amps are nifty, but I am what you would term a "horrible cheap-***", and don't feel like paying 50$ for a cheapie amp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 11:55 AM   #9
sulc is offline sulc  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: EU
Anyone know which Epcos core is usable for coil ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 12:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Bender.ru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Krasnogorsk-city
I've got a D-AMP, how to build my inductor ?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TDA8920 TDA8924 By Connexelectronic, Opinions Please. cirrus18 Class D 57 11th July 2014 05:02 PM
Selling: TDA8924 (d-class 2x120w) Chaom1 Swap Meet 2 15th November 2006 07:58 PM
tda8924 power supply Chaom1 Class D 0 2nd November 2005 12:42 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:57 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2