killed the t-amp adding solder slug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had two new revision boards that didn't have the solder slug under the chip, and they kept overheating. Being the tinkerer, I decided that adding a solder slug to it would improve the thermal resistance to the atmosphere. I suppose I got a little overzealous with the soldering, and when I fired them up again, they didn't fire up. No sound. No power draw.

Did I just fry the chip? What should I do next time, instead of just throwing a bunch of solder at it and hoping it works? I'm thinking instead that I'll probably use a heatsink instead. Thoughts?

It is important when adding a large amount of solder to one place like this solder lug to work quickly and use a hot iron. If the iron is not hot enough you will be holding it on the board for a long time in order to heat it enough to melt solder, so the heat has a greater time to conduct itself along the board and damage components.

I turn the iron to about 750 degree F, then only hold it on the board just long enough to allow the solder to flow. That is, solder in "pulses" rather then heating the board and drag the iron along like your welding. By doing this, the heat will not conduct itself very far throughout the board and has a less chance of damaging components.

If you are still afraid of damaging components when soldering, you can attach a heatsink of some sort to the component while soldering.

Philbuster, when I was troubleshooting a problem with my T-amp, it was pointed out to me that a good way to check if the Tripath IC is working is to check if the 5V level is present. This voltage is present at pins 1, 4, and 9. If you look at the tracks from these pins, you will see that they meet up to the side of C5 facing the IC where it will be easiest to measure from. If 5V is present here, the IC is working (or at least the part that creates the 5v level is working ;)).

I've not had time to check the 5V. How would I revive it if it does have the 5V? It's not over-temperature or anything, because it doesn't start up when it's been off for a long while, and it's cool to the touch.

It doesn't even have DC-offset on it. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think this one's coming back. Too bad... Next time I'll just use a heat sink. Seems like the chips don't like to have the solder-slug hand-soldered. Live and learn, I suppose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.