Modifying subwoofer amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are so many good deals available on subwoofer modules lately. I wonder if it is easily possible or advisable to alter the filter cutoff frequency so that these amps could be used for bass instrument amplification? I tried playing electric bass through my 300 watt subwoofer plate amp but the cutoff was too low and the instrument sounded very muffled. I know you couldn't go full frequency with these amps but even raising the filter cutoff to around 4khz would probably be enough.

Well to give you a idea there is a low pass crossover of often 12db/0ctave but could be 18 or 24db/oct . Since theres only 1 channel the low pass is likely based on one or 2 op amps.

If you can tell me the slope of the crossover and if its variable or not I may be able to give you a better idea of how to do the modifications. As for your intended purpose I don't see an issue with a class a/b amplifier but I would not recommend it for a class D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.