UCD-180 Power Supply Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to build 2 four channel amps, using UCD-180's, to drive Linkwitz Orions, which are under construction. I ordered the Hypex UCD ST power supplies. One PS will supply 2 UCD-180's. Since this is designed to supply 2 180's, I am thinking it should do the job well; however, most pictures I see with the 180's use the HG version PS, which appears to be the same as the ST but with larger/better caps. Should I be concerned? Is there anyone else using the ST PS's satisfactorialy?? Thanks for any constructive advise.

Even better, 1 x ST or 1 x HG will supply 2 x UcD180, but 1 x TR100A is only 160VA total, inclusive of 12V.

Me, I decided on 1 x HG, 1 x TR100A, 1 x SoftStart & 2 x UcD180-AD on account of only needing bout 1 wpc.

If I like 'em I may well invest in second HG and TR100A, and possibly another SoftStart if I monoblock.

Like 'em = prefer to Charlize.

I could have gone for 2 x ST & 2 x TR100A for less cost, but IMHP rule #1 is don't stint on the psu - especially for Class D.

But there again, I'm only interested in stereo - my recently passed away car was worth less than 8 x HG.

Curt,

I also am thinking of doing what you're doing. I plan on buying the Linkwitz Orions and building a 4-channel UcD setup for each speaker. I'm initially going to use one PS for each two UcD, but I might compare that to one PS for each UcD (i.e., UcD "monoblocks"). I was going to use the HG version PS, only because I thought I'd go the "best" route. However, I have no way of truly knowing whether it's the "best" route. That is, unless I'd make two amps exactly the same, except I'd use two different modules (HG and ST). It would be interesting to hear whether anyone has done this comparison.

I'm also wondering whether the Orions will be able to best the speakers/system I currently have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.