Switching Power Supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone here tried to make a high power Switching supply for an amp? I'm trying to design a car amp and so far I have the amplifier bench tested and it sounds awesome. I hooked it up to a makeshift power supply in my house. I just cant keep power to it with the linear supply stuff I have.

I guess the question I have is, will a switching supply in a car provide a clean enough power source for an amp? Has anyone made one here?

I need either a +25, -25 Supply. Or I can handle an asymmetrical supply of +50 to 60 V. I am hoping to power a few of my 240W modules with this. Maybe 3 so it should be a very stout supply.

I am eyeballing some of the Unitrode parts that are now TI. I think I can pull off the power with them, I just need some opinions if I should even bother.

Apocarm said:
I guess the question I have is, will a switching supply in a car provide a clean enough power source for an amp? Has anyone made one here?.

Yes and yes.

How do you think modern car amplifiers can put 1000s of watts into 4 ohm loads without a switching (boost) supply involved? ;)

I recall at least 2 members posting their amps with PSes but it has been a while....

ssanmor said:
Congratulations, sagarverma.

At the time I wrote that article at Elliott Sound Products, there was almost no information about 12V DC/DC supplies. It is good to hear that reading it has been useful for a lot of people so far.

Best regards,
Sergio

so u r the one.
SERGIO,who designed that great circuit.
thanks a ton to u,its use solved a big prob that i faced:to power up high power amps.

i looked up in books to find that choppers r used for dc to dc conversion,but all that was theory and no practically applicable and tested circuit.
your circuit on that site is the most detailed and simple description to make the switching supply.HATS OFF TO U.

Sergio::i made a few miniscule changes to that ckt to suit my needs and availability of material.:
1)ignored driver transistors
2)used a low battery sense and cut off ckt(single supply opamp as comparator and driving a relay)
3)IRF 540,and dtv32f12a diodes.
+ few other minor modifications.

SAGAR

Thanks for the compliments.

If low gate charge mosfets are used, you can indeed pass without the driver transistors as the +/-500mA provided by the SG3525 are enough. Good efficiency can be attained if sw. frequency is not too high.
Low battery protection is very good to.

We are also designing a 12V to +/-60V for commercial use at coldamp, based on that circuit but with more protections.

Best regards,
Sergio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.