Hypex amps, what about the sound? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2006, 12:19 AM   #1
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Hypex amps, what about the sound?

Hi,

I can see there are a fair few threads talking about the UCD modules and I am pretty interested in them myself, but how do they sound?!

I am looking in to building an active rig and was thinking I might use a pair of UCD400's for the bass drivers (cross at 1.5KHz). I already have a Monarchy Audio SM-70 class A amp which I was planning to use for the tweeters but if these Hypex amps are so good....

How do they compare to something like the 'Class A' Monarchy Audio?

How would they compare to the Bryston 3B-SST and 2B-SST rig I am listening to now?

Thanks!

BTW, whats the best place to get the UCD bits from, I'm in the UK.
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:29 AM   #2
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
what speakers will you be using them with?

there are a bunch of threads out there talking about sound quality of the amps. search for my username in the class d forum. you should find a bunch of posts talking about the sound.

the modules themselves sound pretty good, but if you are looking to best a bryston amp, you may need to pay attention to designing a good power supply to get the most out of it.
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Better than the supply and transformer parts Hypex sell?
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:45 PM   #4
kepa1 is offline kepa1  France
diyAudio Member

Hypex modules sound gound for the bass, but you'd better keep your class A SS amp for the rest of the range... At least I prefer my Linn amp to the hypex when connected to fostex wide range drivers.
Old 22nd February 2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
They kind of sound like an old recorded tape that's been used a few dozen times too many.

Seriously it helps to read the threads, instead of just seeing that they're there.

Kepa1, stock modules?
The details are all in the details.
Old 22nd February 2006, 02:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Could you give a hint as to which threads should be read regarding sound quality, particularly in comparison to solid state? I've read quite a bit of the UCD180 thread, but while there's tons of talk of how to build an amp with the UCD180, there's precious little discussion of comparisons between the UCD modules and solid state amps. I'm particularly interested in comparisons as I'll need two four-channel amps to power Orion speakers, and the UCD modules would be easy to do. Solid state (Aksa, the SKA) would be a bit harder. However, if the sound is better, I'd rather go solid state.
Old 22nd February 2006, 02:48 PM   #7
kepa1 is offline kepa1  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by classd4sure
Kepa1, stock modules?
The details are all in the details. [/B]
Yep, with NE5532. Basic but good components power supply. They may sound better on low efficiency speakers though (?)
Old 22nd February 2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
I really can't, there's alot more tech info here than the review variety, thankfully.

Search might help?

Really everyone's implementation being different is likely to have a very different outcome, it can really depend on what you do with it.

I've been seeing people mention class D Vs solide state. They are solide state, but good class d amps lack most of the misgivings that conventional solide state has (and minimize their own).

Why not play it safe, test the waters for yourself before jumping in with both feet. Get two, try them full range on a typical 3way system and see what you think, start experimenting with them and see how far you can take it, then if you don't like it after all that move on.

The hotrod thread will help.

Kepa, they can come a looooooooong long way from there! Being so load invarient they tend to retain the same tonal characteristics regardless. I did all my testing and experiments on speakers with 102dB efficiency..... you're still listening to electrolytic coupling caps with no DC bias.. etc. They're very decent in that form but, you really haven't seen anything yet.

Old 22nd February 2006, 03:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Maybe I can be of some help by sharing some of my listening impressions. My setup includes a Wadia 830 CD player, Krell KSL preamp and Avantgarde Duo 2.2 speakers. I recently changed the preamp with a Pass Labs X1.

As for the power amps I have a 6-channels UCD400 amp that I've built myself (I'll put out the pictures shortly), an MBL 8011 and a Classé C200.

The easy part first: there was no possible match against the Classé. It has simply been swept away by the UCD's in all possible aspects. Details, imaging, sweetness and bass clarity are on another league. I might say that the Classé has a slightly deeper bass but definitely muddier.

I've then made extensive comparisons between the MBL and the UCD's. Here things aren't that clear cut as before.

The UCD's definitely have a razor sharp image, in that you can pinpoint each instrument on the scene, whereas the MBL has a somewhat fuzzier picture. The scene, however, seems to be wider with the MBL.
In direct comparison the UCD seems to have more detail and more openness than the MBL, but it could also be due to the difficulty in matching the volume levels between the two amps (see my other thread on this issue).
I think I can discern a tinge of "metallic sound" coming from the UCD's, whereas the MBL has unmatched "roundness" and "full body", at the expense of some veiling of the sound, though.

The latter impression may be prompted by my horns, which would normally require tube amplification. In the next few weeks I'm going to experiment with ribbon speakers and I'll let you know.

Anyway, I'd have a hard time if I had to chose between the MBL and the UCD's. If you factor in the price, though, there's no doubt that the UCD's are the winners.
Old 22nd February 2006, 04:50 PM   #10
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
well, since no one likes to search...

thinking about the UCD modules.

UCD180/400 vs. Charlize and co?

these arent short threads, but if you read them, you will be well informed. they arent THAT long though. the first one is my thread that i started for my journey into class D. its almost like a condensed down UCD FAQ thread.

read through those and come back if you have any more questions.

Hide this!Advertise here!