Hypex amp with line thru/out?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ezkcdude said:
I currently use the line out on my amp to feed a subwoofer. I was wondering if anyone has built the Hypex kits with a line out, knows whether it is possible, and how to do it. Thanks!

Hi,

Line out is just your standard RCA style output, same as your CD player has going to your receiver or preamp, or preamp to your amp... basically, it's what you drive the amps with.

If you're feeding your subwoofer with a standard line out, it's because it's a powered sub, meaning it already has an amplifier built in. If you want to run a Hypex UCD amp in it (kind of a total waste just for a subwoofer, because it's so damn good full range), you'd have to replace the amp that's already in there with with the UCD, as well as making any changes required by the given circuitry to make sure it all jives well together.

What you can't do is use the Hypex amp to drive that lineout going into your sub with. It wouldn't work good and it sure wouldn't work long.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks, for replying, but I don't think you understand my question. Or maybe I wasn't clear enough. I already have a 2-channel amplifier that I use to drive my 2-way speakers. This amp also has a line thru/out that can be used to daisy chain another amp, or in my case, to send the line level signal to a subwoofer. That is my current setup. If I replace my current amp, I'd like to retain this capability. So, my question is whether the Hypex kits (not subwoofer plate amps) can be modified to have line thru connections, thus being able to daisy chain or send a line level signal to a sub, in addition to amplifying the main speakers. I'll try to "sketch" a schematic:

--------hi-level (speaker out)------>2-ways
amplifier----|
--------line-thru--------------------->subwoofer (line-in)

I want to emphasize that I'm not talking about the Hypex plate amps. Rather, I'm interested in either the UcD180 or UcD400. Can those kits be modified to have line thru capabilities in addition to the speaker level gain that they already have.

It should be simple to make any UcD based amp have a pass-through; simply wire the output RCA in parallel with the input RCA. The input impedance of the UcD modules is 100K, so it's high enough that your source will really only see the impedance of the pass-through gear.

Basically drill another hole in the back panel, mount another RCA, connect its center pin to the center pin of the input RCA, and connect the shields of the two RCA jacks together. And you're done.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio®

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.