+ or - in centre of dc on t-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cousin Lostcause is quite correct. DC ONLY!

I had the little SMPS that comes with the Super-T tested. It does very well. Good regulation, low noise, holds 11.98V at its rated 3A. Handles short circuits like a champ.

Maybe I can talk the Sonic guys into selling that power supply for the original Sonic Impact, too.

pgvpgv333 said:
Ok thanks. If your wrong I will hunt you down no matter what continent your on...
It says in the small manual that you can use 14 volt, but maybe safest not to try it. Thanks again. Time to connect.

Hi,

I'm only going on bits and pieces I've read about running
T-amps off car batteries, and I'm only familiar with the two
amps that parts express sell.

I'll stick by the assertion : anything designed to run off a car
battery will accept 14V dc.( Or it would be in big trouble.)

:)/sreten.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
sreten said:
anything designed to run off a car battery will accept 14V dc.( Or it would be in big trouble.)

A logical assumption, but not totally accurate in this case. The T-Amp is NOT designed to run off a car battery, or to be used in a car. It is designed to be powered by 12V. Tripath state 13.2V as OPERATING CONDITION max, But 16V as absolute max. The problem is cooling.

Yes, it will run off 14V, but it is not really good for the chip as it lacks proper cooling in the Sonic amps. 14V won't kill it right away, but a number of DIYers have had chip failure at 14V. It can be done, but proper cooling needs to be implemented. The chip will work just fine at 12-13V, so why push it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.