UCD amp and REL sub... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Regnad is offline Regnad  United States
diyAudio Member

Question UCD amp and REL sub...

I could not connect to the high-level input of a REL sub when using a PS Audio ICE-based amp due to the lack of a common ground.

Now that I am using a stereo UCD400 amp, can I connect the two amp "grounds" together and then connect that to the REL black common ground wire?

Thanks a lot for any help...
Old 5th February 2006, 07:04 PM   #2
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Default Re: UCD amp and REL sub...

Quote:
Originally posted by Regnad
I could not connect to the high-level input of a REL sub when using a PS Audio ICE-based amp due to the lack of a common ground.

Now that I am using a stereo UCD400 amp, can I connect the two amp "grounds" together and then connect that to the REL black common ground wire?

Thanks a lot for any help...
you should be able to. why cant you use use the black speaker terminal for this? thats typically how rel's are connected...
Old 6th February 2006, 03:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I understand that the HCA-2, ICE and Tripath type amps have DC levels at their output and you cannot tie the "negative" speaker output to ground. This means that you cannot use the standard hi-level cable that REL provides.
Old 6th February 2006, 07:57 AM   #4
dorkus is offline dorkus  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dorkus
Quote:
Originally posted by Regnad
I understand that the HCA-2, ICE and Tripath type amps have DC levels at their output and you cannot tie the "negative" speaker output to ground. This means that you cannot use the standard hi-level cable that REL provides.
hm, that would explain why when i hooked up a speaker-to-line-level adapter to an HCA-2 once, it went up in smoke...
Old 8th February 2006, 01:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dorkus

hm, that would explain why when i hooked up a speaker-to-line-level adapter to an HCA-2 once, it went up in smoke...
Tweakers never cease to amaze me. Electricity having virtually no delay - relative to human reflex - I always verify compatibility with a DVM in volts and ohms before I make a connection loop.

I work on a bench everyday and every time I make a shortcut such as not securing the scope probe tip and GND while trying to turn say a knob, damage often occurs that costs sometimes hours to fix. Word to the wise...
Old 8th February 2006, 01:18 AM   #6
dorkus is offline dorkus  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dorkus
Quote:
Originally posted by koolkid731
Tweakers never cease to amaze me.
true, but i'd hardly call a standard subwoofer hookup a "tweak." having the negative speaker terminal held at high voltage is not common. i'm not sure if it was stated in the manual or not, but if it was clearly i missed it.

i highly doubt most average consumers even have a DMM.
Old 8th February 2006, 02:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just received this email from Sumiko who distribute REL...

"With the sudden exponential increase of and varying topology or class D amps,we have until further notice stopped recommending anything but low level (RCA) connection. We are in the process of figuring out a universal (or at least semi universal) remedy to the issue. I will keep you email on file and contact you with this once we have it. We apologize for the inconvienience this may have caused you."

So, should I give it a go? I have already checked that there is no potential between the speaker negs and system ground.

Hide this!Advertise here!