Mueta classe D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Mueta classe D

classd4sure said:

Not exactly. They kind of patented their own version of it. Mueta still has nothing available... ~5 years later!

I think it has been a bit longer than 5 years! I first contacted them about getting an evaluation board, which their website has claimed availability since launch, at least 6 or so years ago! I stayed in constant contact with them until about a year ago, after hearing how an evaluation board would "be ready in a few more months" for 5+ years, I grew tired and have decided to go with something that is actually in production.

I would be shocked if they ever bring a product to market...Talk about vaporware!

Re: Re: Re: Mueta classe D

kuribo said:

I think it has been a bit longer than 5 years! I first contacted them about getting an evaluation board, which their website has claimed availability since launch, at least 6 or so years ago! I stayed in constant contact with them until about a year ago, after hearing how an evaluation board would "be ready in a few more months" for 5+ years, I grew tired and have decided to go with something that is actually in production.

I would be shocked if they ever bring a product to market...Talk about vaporware!

Same here ... exactly, hard to think it's actually been that long huh? Only I gave up on them a few years ago and concentrated on UCD, when they released that schematic and had nothing to show for it, again. Not to say there still isn't some interest there, I just don't ever expect to see anything from them. Certainly I'm less interested to now see the measurements of their supposed IC being worse than their original module, though still very respectable.

Big mistake on their part, the story was people at the AES just loved their idea but convinced them that in module format it would be too easily ripped off, guess they never heard of epoxy.. so they wanted to hold back and produce it in IC form simply to protect their IP. One has to wonder where they got that kind of backing to produce an IC without even a module on the market, considering the steep learning curve envolved and the costs of R&D for that sort of thing.

Then of course we see the latest update with schematics and new measurements to try and tide us over again but no "click to order link", it's become a shameful embarrasment, and I think they're going bust, surprised the website is still up.

The icing on the cake so to speak is Halcro borrowing their novel (yet obvious in my view) control scheme, changed just enough to get away with it, and not even mentioning them as prior art, now selling their amps for .... what I just found to be close to 20K USD!

I feel sorry for them. Really they ought to see the light about now and start getting some modules out there! They could have changed the face of class D as they've been claiming for years on their website, but that ship has long since sailed and they missed the boat.

Regards,
Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Well, I have not heard of any commercial products using their technology, not have I ever seen, or heard, a Mueta amplifier. Their website however gets updated every now and then (http://www.mueta.com). The concept looks solid and compensates for just about every error that you are likely to see in a class-D amplifier, so I am confused as to why they've not been able to market this? UcD has been very successful, with plenty of products being manufactured under license so there certainly is a market.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Like I said, strickly because others convinced them it would be too easily ripped off in module format. Now that halcro patented what I assumed to be the IP they'd wanted to protect, the control scheme, it no longer seems to apply. They must also have noticed the success Hypex is enjoying with their modules, and a little epoxy goes a long way.

I also questioned them before as to most of their control circuitry not making it into the IC, and how the IC appears to be nothing more than a hysteretic comparator + driver. Makes me scratch my head a little anyway. Seems like they've made alot of bad decisions and I kind of hope they'll reverse a few of those.

How can they now compete with their technology since the IC is a lesser performer than they'd advertised so long ago. Do they want to compete with Tripath and now ICEpower for the ghetto blaster /car audio market or the High end/UCD/best of the best .... I don't know, but it seems their chip answers that already. I'd be more interested in modules how about you? No doubt a well layed out PCB in module form would far outdo any IC.

That last update to their website happened ... at least three years after the one before it, and still no"available now, click to order or contact" etc. Crazy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.