Zap Pulse 700XE received today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The awaited and longed for 700XE arrived today;)
Because of the changed size of the pcb I have to rearrange the psu komponents which takes its time.I will hardly get it ready for listening today.
A layout for wiring is coming with the set but as I have my cabinet built as two mono blocks in one cabinet I am not really sure how to ground mine.I have used no ground to the chassie at all for the earlier models but it might not be safe to switch these on before I got some information from LC.
I hope to be back tomorrow with some listening impressions.

Anzgar
:clown:

The golden mean said:
Sounds interesting! What supply voltages do they recommend?
And can you tell us a bit more about your psu?
Regards
Håkan

The information I got is no bigger trafo than 550VA per one or two modules.I use 2 200VA/30V transformers which makes about +-45V.Each trafo feeds a "super psu"-2 rectifiers and the middle point not taken at the trafo but at the capacitors +and - connection.

The joy rapidly turned into disappointment.One of the two modules didn't work:bawling:
A quick test of the input showed 47k input resistance on the silent modul but 13 kohm on the working, might indicate a fault in the input ic.
I hope I'll get a replacement unit .

Hi,

"no bigger than 550VA"... "per one or two modules"???

Hell no!

From LCaudio website:

" In fact you can mostly get away with undersizing the power supply, because the music does not have 100% thermal power content. Measurements of practical music examples show that most types of music contain an average 30% thermal power measured over 30 minutes. In other words you can make a 300 Watts RMS amplifier with just a 100 VA mains transformer, if the amplifier is based on ZAPpulse. This is a limit, and even if it will work in practical installations, we do not recommend this dimentioning. In practical amplifiers we recommend a 1:1 ratio of transformer size to output power. So a 2x200 W amplfier should use a transformer of 400 VA or more. "

Also take careful note of the "or more".

As far as wiring, look at the "monoblocks can be a problem" section of:

http://www.lcaudio.com/index.php?page=63

Then do the exact opposite. Don't connect the cap common points of the supplies to the chassis, let them float from it, and each other. Better stereo seperation that way, mono block style. It'll make layout and placement /shielding more critical but far worthwhile provided the EMI of the modules are low enough that you can get away with it, so it's worth trying first. The advice they gave seems to me to be a one size best fits all bandaid .... cut down on the emails sort of thing. I'm sure you want the best out of it though.

Regards,
Chris

classd4sure said:
Hi,

"no bigger than 550VA"... "per one or two modules"???

Hell no!

Regards,
Chris

I just quoted the wiring information leaflet supplied with the modules.
I have always wired the psu as you describe, but it's needed for warranty that one wires as described at lcaudio.Predator or Predator 2 power supply.
Anyway, one of the modules doesn't work and that's troubling me a lot.Will I get a new one or do I have to negotiate and face claims like "these modules never fails unless they are incorrectly wired"?
BTW, the working module has a wonderful sound.It took less than a minute to hear it's better than the SE2x.

Hmmm, really it doesn't make any sense. "place the modules as close together as possible"... what? With advice like that you really have to wonder... it alllllmost seems like they _want_ you to void the warranty and maybe we can see why huh?

Hopefully you'll at least get your email answered. I might be wanting my money back and a UCD700 instead. Sorry about your luck I just saw that after my previous post. This isn't looking good for them at all. Hope it turns out ok for you, let us know.

Regards,
Chris

The tech support guy assumed I would get a replacement module
but that's up to Jens Posselt to decide.He forwarded my mail to him and I've heard no more about it.I was astonished to get an email reply at 7.30 in the morning.According to him lcaudio had made a desicion to really answer emails asap except in weekends.
It appears to me that you underestimate your latest creation "keep yr SE.xx unless you got top class speakers".
I use a pair of home built Egewang Rib also called LaFolia and even when I only have one channel I rather listen to mono on 700XE than stereo on SE.xx.My advice to SE owners is upgrade!
It's one of these moments when one suddenly has a brand new CD collection and details never heard before are present; it's like hearing every recording for the first time :D
I might give a closer analysis the day I get the replace module...

Anzgar said:
It appears to me that you underestimate your latest creation "keep yr SE.xx unless you got top class speakers".
I use a pair of home built Egewang Rib also called LaFolia and even when I only have one channel I rather listen to mono on 700XE than stereo on SE.xx.My advice to SE owners is upgrade!
It's one of these moments when one suddenly has a brand new CD collection and details never heard before are present; it's like hearing every recording for the first time :D
I might give a closer analysis the day I get the replace module...

Hi Anzgar
Wow, that's fantastic ... actually more than fantastic ... stunning :hot: :wiz:

What zap2.x did you have? :cubist: Lars, said that the 700XE was as good as amplifiers in the 10K/20K range. Is that what you are hearing, even in mono. :camoufl:

KLe said:

Hi Anzgar
Wow, that's fantastic ... actually more than fantastic ... stunning :hot: :wiz:

What zap2.x did you have? :cubist: Lars, said that the 700XE was as good as amplifiers in the 10K/20K range. Is that what you are hearing, even in mono. :camoufl:

I had 2.2SE, I have upgraded to the new version from the version 1 and forward when a new one has been available,I think even the first version sounded better than most class A and AB amps costing much more.
And 700SE really is in class of its own.It has also in mono, playing a good mono recording a holographic quality,instruments sound very life like, transients start as they should for example a trumpet solo,the bass is deep and well controlled with no overhang.I mainly listen to jazz music and I can hear the seperate instruments in the ensamble as individual notes how they blend in the air into a coherent cluster.And the cymbals! Wow!Never before heard them so life like.
The CD I've based my description to is GeneAmmons - Funky (Prestige OJCCD-244-2)

Anzgar said:
I had 2.2SE, I have upgraded to the new version from the version 1 and forward when a new one has been available,I think even the first version sounded better than most class A and AB amps costing much more.
And 700SE really is in class of its own.It has also in mono, playing a good mono recording a holographic quality,instruments sound very life like, transients start as they should for example a trumpet solo,the bass is deep and well controlled with no overhang.I mainly listen to jazz music and I can hear the seperate instruments in the ensamble as individual notes how they blend in the air into a coherent cluster.And the cymbals! Wow!Never before heard them so life like.
The CD I've based my description to is GeneAmmons - Funky (Prestige OJCCD-244-2)

Hi Anzgar
I have the zap2.3se, but, sounds like it is definitely worth the upgrade. I have the 2.3se sounding very nice, but, it sounds like it is very, very easy to get the zap700xe to sound very, very nice (indeed better in everyway?).
:hot: :wiz:

When you install the replacement 700xe module, it should be very interesting to hear your report for stereo listening. Lets hope they're fast to do this. Perhaps Lars could help in this regard. I think he said, in a previous post, that he wasn't very far from the LCaudio factory (couple of hundred metres?). It is probably worth getting his advise. :emoticon:

I don't have that CD, but, it sounds like there will be a noticeable improvement with all CD's.:crackup:
:cloud9:

Good Stuff:cubist: Thanks and look forward to your next post :bigeyes:

KLe said:

When you install the replacement 700xe module, it should be very interesting to hear your report for stereo listening. Lets hope they're fast to do this. Perhaps Lars could help in this regard. I think he said, in a previous post, that he wasn't very far from the LCaudio factory (couple of hundred metres?). It is probably worth getting his advise. :emoticon:
:bigeyes:

:bawling: The joy didn't last long;one of the modules never worked and now the other one suddenly ended its short but glorious life emitting smoke and fire:bawling:
I've sent both of them back, hoping for replacement-ach ja.

To have something to listen to in the meantime a friend borrowed me an ICE-power based amp but..sound quality of the standard version is below standard. While stereo imaging was fine and the presentation dry and up-front, the modules are plagued by a total lack of spaciousness and timbral detail, exactly those things that most class D's do well.

It´s hard to see what happened to Anzgar as secure evidence , that all the700XE modules are faulty.... But I think it is better , that someone responsible at LC-audio would comment on this . Lars Clausen has been kind enough, to answer a lot of questions, but as you know, he isn´t the owner anymore.
As I´m interested in the Zap Pulse 700 XE , but hesitate to buy two of them at the moment , more information on "the current situation" would be much appreciated. Generally speaking, the market doesn´t like uncertainty . :eek:

Hi,

Mr mean you make a good point.

I'm aware another who's module was faulty upon arrival. I trust the smoke/fire is a seperate issue.

Might be nice if others chimed in with their experience too.

Who knows, maybe they suffer from a bad batch of silicon or something silly like that.

I trust they'll be letting us know when they've got it figured out. It seems more is required than a simple replacement though. At any rate I hope they fix it before they start to make Nuforce look good.

Regards,
Chris

classd4sure said:
Hi,

Mr mean you make a good point.

I'm aware another who's module was faulty upon arrival. snip
Regards,
Chris

Another module d.o.a. ? That 's comforting to hear as I am feeling quite responsible and guilty for possible unprofessional wiring.I connected the modules just like I had connected the previous modules though, which had run pefectly well for a year or two.
I am making a new case with a new psu to make even more sure the replacement modules (if I get any) don't get killed by me.

:goodbad:

Anzgar said:
Another module d.o.a. ? That 's comforting to hear as I am feeling quite responsible and guilty for possible unprofessional wiring.I connected the modules just like I had connected the previous modules though, which had run pefectly well for a year or two. I am making a new case with a new psu to make even more sure the replacement modules (if I get any) don't get killed by me.

Hi Anzgar
Not good news :eek: I wonder if Lars knows of this? :confused:
Please, keep us informed :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.