no DC protection circuit ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not with every failure of the UCD there is DC on the output. They seem to be pretty reliable anyway.
Not much failing UCD's either on this board or on the others that I visit. And yes, I'm searching cause I'm building a dual mono version and, for now, without DC protection.

Noop,

I think I do not need one but am investigating whether my perception is correct. Until now i've found remarkable little instances of DC on output related failures

Don't get me wrong, I think it is in general a good idea and the Hypex implementation in their HG supply looks great. I will use 140.000uF per channel (Nippon Chemicon, I think you use similar ?) and can therefore not use this supply (or I will have to throw away the cap's and that is a very expensive solution with double mono)

Just because I can :)

I have them available from a never finalised Pass Labs Aleph X project, I will only use half as I have approx 560.000uF available. I will try 40.000 uf Slit foils per channel as well but most extreme amplifiers have ussually an extreme overload on capacity. I acknowledge that UCD's have less capacity requirement as conventional designs, at least in theory but they also seem to benefit from overdesigned PSU's. I will use UCD180AD with two 250Va schuro high end transformers.

With regard to DC protection, I have not found any sign from correct implemented UCD's with DC on the output, at least on the forums that I visit.

HFA 08 PB 60, these are 8A, 18 nanosec. They might be too light for the UCD400, I will use a softstart and probably heatsinks on the rectifiers. In principle the 8A should be sufficient but the UCD can draw 10 max. Withouth the softstart the giant caps could also draw more than 8A on startup so with softstart and heatsink Í think it's safe. If not I replace them by 25A types but they are slightly slower.

I think we are floating off topic, although the topic starter might benefit

Okay, for what it's worth: I drive my (passive) speakers unprotected. I think it is always better to use protection but the UcD is a very good amp and very few have failed. So I guess it is up to you if you want to use protection.

If you want I can provide a link with a design and PCB layout....

Hi,

Let's just not kid ourselves and be real clear here.

What we're doing is gambling, so the robustness of the module does make for favorable odds, then comes the big "if". What do you stand to lose "if" your house catches fire, weigh that up against the cost/effort required to implement DC protection and then you can decide if it's worth it for you, or maybe you're not that big on gambling in the first place. Of course "you'd" never leave the amp enabled unattended, someone else might.

Personally my speakers are fused so I don't really care.

Yep, were gambling allright. Makes live more exiting :D

Let's talk about protection. The subject has passed many times and I'm still confused.
Let me start by telling that I'm not an expert in electronics.

Okay, dc-protection:

There are, as far as I know, three options:

1 a relay in the speaker output. (probably the most common one)
2 relays between the powersupply and the amp module (like Hypex)
3 fuses at the speaker output

Could you please tell me about the pro's and cons of the above mentioned protection methods?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.