AD Vs BD Modulation in Class-D - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2011, 07:09 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post
It is actually common mode input that I meant when I wrote about offset ... Think it is time for a holiday.....

Regards

Charles

I think tying down both the input nodes with a resistor to ground is needed to keep VCM in range of opamp.

regards,
Kanwar
Old 12th May 2011, 07:47 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

I was once thinking about a different compensation method using an OP-AMP in inverting setup. The input is going to the Supply rail and the output is going to the two input nodes via a resistor in order to compensate for the common mode voltage. I can make a drawing if it is unclear wha I mean.

Regards

Charles
Old 12th May 2011, 07:49 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

Charles, a drawing would surely help alot.

regards,
Kanwar
Old 12th May 2011, 12:06 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Here you are
Attached Images
File Type: bmp common_mode_comp.bmp (31.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 12th May 2011, 12:20 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

As always a picture speaks 1000 words, thanks once again Charles.
Can you elaborate a bit more on its working.

regards,
Kanwar

Last edited by Workhorse; 12th May 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12th May 2011, 01:19 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Due to the lack of an op-amp symbol with differential outputs I took a normal one - but I think this shouldn't give too much problems for the interpretation of the circuit's workings.
On the left we have the differential audio inputs. We can also see the two NFB inputs with the lead compensation.

The inverting input of the auxiliary op-amp at the lower part of the diagram is fed with the rail voltage which is then inverted and fed to the two inputs. The circuit does nothing else than subtract a voltage - proportional to the rail voltage - from the two inputs (to be more correct it does actually subtract current). It shouldn't be too difficult to find out how it should be dimensioned (we don't have to hint the copiers from china to everything - do we ?). In the drawn form it can be used for the situations where the negative rail of the power stage is at the same potential as the ground of the input and modulator circuitry. If the input circuitry's ground is above that (if for instance its negative rail = negative rail of the output stage) it has to be completed with an additional resistor.

Regards

Charles
Old 12th May 2011, 02:00 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Thanxz Charles,

Nice explanation.
Got its working now, sure we don't want to attract copycats from far-east lands. The subtraction should be done in such a way that the input voltage range should be within input common mode voltage range of the opamp, in other words it looks like string puller

The fully differential opamps chips we have in market have a dedicated pin called VCM for setting up the offset at their output, Is this of any help here.

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LME49724.pdf

regards,
Kanwar

Last edited by Workhorse; 12th May 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 27th October 2012, 06:33 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Default Another modulation scheme

I would first like to remind people (because of the loose terminology in the ecler article)

Here's a thought, so far this thread has covered AD (bilevel) and BD (trilevel). How about more than three rails, Class G style?

To give an example of the idea, let's say we have five rails (Class G amplifiers have at least four), and so output pluses so as to create the following characteristics:

*As with BD modulation, pulses do not appear in absence of an audio signal.

*For the lower quadrants (lower portions) of the positive half cycle, positive pulses "+1" appear, and for the upper quadrants (upper poritons), the switching is between "+1" and "+2.

*During lower quadrants of negative half cycles of the modulating audio signal, negative pulses "-1" appear, and during the upper quadrants, the switching is between "-1" and "-2."

Hide this!Advertise here!