Yet another class-TD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The so-called class-TD has the disadvantage of double component count, one set for tracking SPMS, and another for class AB with its cross-over distortion and biasing that must track transistor temperature.

Then they work on the assumption of resistive load. A real load, inductive or capacitive will give them some heat dissipation problem, plus power supply pumping.

They're behind the time.

I've seen something similar to this before...

To me it looks like a kind of Class-H amplifier where the rail tracking is actually done by a class-D amplifier that acts as a power supply. Because class-D amplifiers can be set to high efficiency (via a low switching frequency), the class-D amp looks like a "smart" power supply with very low losses.

==> Does anyone know other ways to implement a smart power supply that can track the audio signal on the output? This is the only way I know of...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.