Super T-Amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2006, 10:01 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by panomaniac
Hope to get some modding done this weekend, inbetween partying.

Modding first, party later!
Old 5th February 2006, 08:00 PM   #12
Charged is offline Charged  United States
diyAudio Member

Iíve received my three T-amps a weeks or two ago.

I have to get this out first. When I joined a short while ago, I thought I knew much more than I now know I do.

The more I read of the forums, I realize the less I know. My posting here will not help the experienced audiophile, but may be useful to other beginners like myself.

When I first opened My Super-T, I connected it to the CD player in my primary system with the included RCA cables; my first reaction was utter disappointment. I had no sound what-so-ever.

I then moved on to one of my first generation t-amps, I hooked this up to my PC, replacing an early 70ís amplifier. I then connected a pair of Jamo bookshelves. I was pleased; the sound was different, defiantly not worse. I then decided to give my Super-T one last chance, and connected it to my PC. Atlas, I hear music. I was very happy to find that in my order, I received bad cables, not a bad amp.

I can defiantly notice a difference between the Super-T, and the first generation of t-amp when connected to my computer. The Super-T does sound better to me.

Now just for Kickís, I recently hooked up my first generation t-amp to primary system. (Ok, guys donít laugh now. Well if you feel the need I guess itís ok, just this once.) I was running a Harman/Kardom HK3470, with JBL Northridge E-100ís. Once I connected the t-amp, my jaw dropped in utter amazement.

Iím still currently feeling a mixture of emotions. Iím now smiling ear to ear, but at the same time Iím upset that my previous pride and joy is now currently a piece of crap in my mind.

Iím in utter amazement. I just donít know what to say, Iím finding my self listening to CDís that were just plain un-interesting played through the Harman/Kardom.

The stock T-Amp is a big improvement, to anything I ever had before.

Iím very surprised that this T-amp, can drive the Northridge Speakers, and at levels much louder than my ears can handle.

I canít wait to hook up the Super-T to this system, Iím wondering if I will be able to hear the same difference that I noticed on my computer.

I have yet to modify any of the amps, although I did buy an aluminum case, and also two sets of RCA connectors. Iím starting to think my time will be better applied towards building a nicer set of speakers.

Bye the way, Is anyone looking to buy a Harman/Kardom HK3470? Itís in perfect working condition, but for some reason it sounds muffled.
Old 6th February 2006, 07:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I just connected the Super T into my primary listening room. Iíve only listened to it for 1/2 day now; I will not claim that itís a very large improvement over the first generation T-Amp. I personally do not hear a difference at this point, but I did hear a difference when I had it connected to my PC with smaller speakers.

One thing I can saw for sure is that the Harman/Kardon HK3470 will be collecting dust, until Iím fortunate enough to pass it on. The Harmon/Kardon defiantly put out more power, especially in the low end, but it came at an uncompromised cost.

To put thing simply, Iím still amazed, Iíll defiantly be recommending this product to anyone who will listen. When playing a live Frank Sinatra recording, I heard glasses being placed on a table. Then with a cat power recording, I heard the fingers of the guitarist, sliding on the guitar strings, almost to the point of being annoying.

Although peanuts in the High-Fidelity world, as a novice. I will confidently say that the Super T will be very satisfactory, compared to alternatives in the price range.

If youíre a hip hop/rap fanÖÖ..This item will probably not be worth your dollars. This unit is not designed for that music, but for its cost it just may be.
Old 9th February 2006, 01:30 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

WowÖ. I may finally have some good information for people wondering if the Super-T is worth $100 more than the first generation.

Today Iím running a by-amp configuration. Iím splitting the signal off my cd-player using mono Y connectors.

I have two sets of speakers currently connected. The first set is the JBL Northridge E-100ís; the second set is a pair of JBL Northridge E-30ís.

I have banana plugs into all speakers; this allowed me to switch speakers, and amps on the fly.

Iíd like to retract my last post. The Super-T defiantly sounds better. The difference is very noticeable on the E-30ís, and less so on the E-100ís. On a side note, The difference was even more noticeable on my small Jamo speakers. Iím still confused on why Iím noticing larger differences as the speakers get smaller; Iíd think it would be the other way around.

Iím really liking the Bi-Amp configuration, I feel itís giving me a little more control over the sound. It gives me some control over the perceived Bass/Treble (the difference coming from the volume I play the different size speakers.

Is what Iím doing recommended, or am I going down the wrong track? Iím sure Iím experiencing some signal loss with the Y-adapters.

Iíf what Iím doing is advisable; Iím considering buying another Super-T.
Old 9th February 2006, 01:41 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I hate to do a triple post, and this may be old news. But I found this link today at work.

http://www.reveries.com/?p=117

Whatís interesting is it says Sonic, ďplans to introduce a 50-watt version, priced at just $349, next year.Ē

If this is a valid sorce, I thought a few of you may find this interesting.
Old 9th February 2006, 05:18 AM   #16
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting, I hadn't read that. I'll ask Big Rich at SI-5 if he will confirm or not.
Old 14th February 2006, 02:52 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Panomaniac, you seem like the resident expert on t-amps. (You have a nice web-site by the way). I have a quick question for you. I now have two of the Super t-amps. If I chose to run one of the amps strictly for the left channel, and one for the right channel, would this hurt the amps in any way?

What Iím thinking about doing is running a mono signal in two each amp. If I like the sound, Iíll solder the left and right channel together into one rca connector on each amp. This way, I would be able two run one rca cable from my pre-amp. The left channel would go two one t-amp, and the right would go two the other.

Iím just wondering what your thoughts would be on this configuration? And also what I might be overlooking by doing something like this?
Old 14th February 2006, 03:56 AM   #18
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Did you just ask me this by email? Or was that someone else?

You can NOT connect the left and right outputs together, but you CAN connect the L/R inputs. So if you choose to bi-wire your speakers, e.g. Left for the highs, Right for the lows, you can do that. Do be sure that your woofers and tweeter do not share a common ground. (see above)

Thanks for the compliments on the website. It's busy over there!
Old 14th February 2006, 04:00 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default A power question

Quote:
Originally posted by Charged
Panomaniac, you seem like the resident expert on t-amps. (You have a nice web-site by the way). I have a quick question for you. I now have two of the Super t-amps. If I chose to run one of the amps strictly for the left channel, and one for the right channel, would this hurt the amps in any way?

What Iím thinking about doing is running a mono signal in two each amp. If I like the sound, Iíll solder the left and right channel together into one rca connector on each amp. This way, I would be able two run one rca cable from my pre-amp. The left channel would go two one t-amp, and the right would go two the other.

Iím just wondering what your thoughts would be on this configuration? And also what I might be overlooking by doing something like this?
Charged,
I know I am not the person asked but feel fully qualified to answer. Using a single amp for biamping is a routine upgrade and a positive one at that. On the amps instead of just shorting out the 2 inputs why donít you install a small toggle switch with gold contacts? This way you can wire it to connect the 2nd channel to either its own jack or the other common RCA at the flick of a switch, forming a mono/stereo selector.
If you want to really get serious you can put an active crossover before the amps and eliminate the passive ones in the speakers. This allows direct drive from the amps outputs to the actual speakers. This way there are no crossover losses and the whole system will sound a lot better. These little amps do not like driving speakers with complex crossovers in them. This is why the little single driver speakers sound so good with them.
Roger
Old 14th February 2006, 08:35 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. I liked your idea sx881663, Iím going to give it a try.

For now Iíll be running two sets of speakers, so a shared ground will not be an issue.

My next project may be building a set of speakers revolving around the Fostex FE206Eís. I'm thinking about getting 4 of them, but I still have some more research to do.

Hide this!Advertise here!