Zappulse transistor exploded !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a problem vith my zappulse - the output transistors ( 2 of them ) is broken on of them has exploded !
At firts I discovered 60 VDC on speaker output with speaker connected !
Then I measured a shortcut in the output trans and changed them ( IRF640 ) then started the amp again and there was a BANG !
and one trans exploded and the other is shorted!
Does somebody know something to do ?
The other channel works fine, nothing strange here.
Please help !!
/ Tord Nilsson in Sweden

zapver.

It is ver. 1.00 !! -old yes I know :(
Unfortenatly some of the cicuits are hidden by some black glue...
and this doesn´t make it easyer to repair...
Thanks for your help and YES The old speaker was ok before but now it is smoked !!
Maybe someone has an idea what to do or is i unrepairable ?
/ Tord

As far as the speaker, if it has tweeters they are probably Ok as the filter cap may have protected them. Perhaps the same with any midrange drivers. But the woofers are no doubt smoked. This same thing happened to me with the ZapPulse, and I think is the danger in class D amplifiers, unless they have some sort of output protection. The woofers you might be able to get a recone kit, or have them reconed, as a new voice coil is apart of this. You may have to rebuild your crossovers. You might also check the output caps on the ZapPulse boards to make sure they're ok. Since this technology is in its infancy these sort of things we will need to work through. Currently I have been using lower wattage class D amps, as I have very efficient speakers and the threat of DC frying everything when something goes wrong is nonexistant as the DC voltage is much lower.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal, and it is not over yet I imagine. How long have you had your boards? Perhaps you can send them in to LC audo to get repaired, they have a new warranty you know.

TG

About the speaker, that is a secondary problem because it was an old speaker that worked but it has no value for me, I just used it instead of my ordinary speakers just in case of mailfunction in the amplifier. ( Lucky me ! )
The mainproblem is the amp, I shall contact LC-Audio and talk with them about the problem and how I should solve this.
It sems almost impossible to get rid of the black "glue" on the board and if more components are broken I don´t think there is much to do with it -just get a new one...
/ Tord

Hey

The black glue can be removed with a "stanley knife". It is so hard, that it will crack off in small pieces. Just be careful not to damage the pcb.
A little more than a year ago, I had to repair One of my ZAP modules (version 2.1), and I used the same procedure. On the zap 2.1 and 2.2, the driver ic is an "L6385D high and low side driver" from ST.
Maybe the early versions use the same driver.
If you can't get any help from LC audio, you might want to try installing a new driver ic and output transistors. (If you can get the driver ic somewhere, I had some trouble with that, had to get a sample through a friend.)

Well, good luck! Whatever you choose to do.

Noise

Lars Clausen said:
Hi Guys!

I think if you contact L C Audio, you can probably get a new module. This was the policy in the old days when i worked there anyway .... :angel:

All the best from

Lars Clausen

I sent them 2 modules back for a year ago after talking to Henrik Kronborg.I was promised a repair or new modules.After that I sent many emails, one fax and a snail mail but no response at all.
BTW I ordered a couple of 700SE and payed in advance, so I got one mail from Brenda asking me to send my old modules to get the new (as they were in stock, which I did and after that there's only silence, no email replys no modules.Don't they have a PC or an email client?
Some of my friends also experiences the same total abscence of communication.
I can imagine the staff gathered drinking coffee and out of a hat randomly draw an email to handle that one, once a week...
Hard words but I am really frustraded by now.
:smash:

Anzgar said:

I sent them 2 modules back for a year ago after talking to Henrik Kronborg.I was promised a repair or new modules.After that I sent many emails, one fax and a snail mail but no response at all.
BTW I ordered a couple of 700SE and payed in advance, so I got one mail from Brenda asking me to send my old modules to get the new (as they were in stock, which I did and after that there's only silence, no email replys no modules.Don't they have a PC or an email client?
Some of my friends also experiences the same total abscence of communication.
I can imagine the staff gathered drinking coffee and out of a hat randomly draw an email to handle that one, once a week...
Hard words but I am really frustraded by now.
:smash:

Hi,

Hmmm that sucks. Maybe there's an issue with the 700? Surely they have a phone #, have you tried calling?

Surely you received an email when you ordered the modules, that they were in back order, at that time?

Well maybe they are on the way now, just yesterday 700XE went from 'back order' to 'in stock' on L C Audio's homepage.

If you don't get it within a week or so, please send an e-mail to me, then i can call them for you, and ask what's going on.

All the best from

Lars Clausen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.