ZAPpulse700XE or Hypex UCD700, or... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 5th January 2006, 10:27 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

not yet.

Old 5th January 2006, 04:25 PM   #12
Sheriff is offline Sheriff  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Sheriff
Default Abbey Road amplification

Hi The Golden Mean,

When did Abbey Road change their ampliciation to Dynamic Precision units...?

Having sold them a 'different' brand of amplifier a few years ago (for the Penthouse suite for use on their B&W N801 monitors) i am interested...

Electrocompanient also said that Abbey Road used their Nemo mono amps - this was simply not true....

Cheers

Sheriff

Old 5th January 2006, 07:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Sheriff!

I first saw the information about DP being used at Abbey Road maybe a year ago. Electrocompaniet has a new owner, -a big company I think.But for the Nemo monoblocks, just like you,I donīt believe they are used at Abbey Road.

Tripath TA 0105A modules are used in the Alner Hamplin SA 400 power amp reviewed in the January 2006 issue of Hi-Fi News.
It gets a very good verdict, but the measured performence has a flaw. ".....but showed a unexpected increase in distortion frow 100-200W in its left channel of up to 7%.The right channel achieved a substantial 380W into 8 ohm (405W dynamic) and 750W (800W dynamic) with distortion ranging from 0.035-0.3% over much of the power bandwidth."

At this link :
measurments
you can see the test results,but you have to register to be able to see them. It would be interesting to hear an explaination of the difference in performence between the channels!

Old 12th January 2006, 05:39 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

As this is a decision under uncertainty and very little information seems available,I can:

A)Make a decision by the throw of a dice.

B)Buy the cheapest alternative, probably the UCD700

C)Seek more information, i.e. I have to wait.

D)Try to be intuitive(hard when you are a man ). and go for the one I believe the most in. I will in this case buy just one module to build from, then I can listen and decide if itīs good enough.

I have seen a comparision between Tripath , Hypex and ICE-power-based amps, at a Swedish DIY-site. Some guys made three amps , in a hurry(they welded their own cabinets). Their intent was to make a comparision at a DIY-meeting or show. As I doubt their findings,I donīt wright anything about them here.

At the moment, LC-audio Zap700 XE is my favorite, but please donīt ask me way!

Old 12th January 2006, 11:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
Is LC-audio Zap700 XE available already?

I have emailed them a number of times and there has been no response!

Old 13th January 2006, 11:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi achcheng!
If a company donīt answers your mail , when you are interested in buying their products, how will they respond if you run into problems when using their products, someone wrote.
If the e-mail problems are only temporary, they should tell us that that at their site. A friend says "the Danish people donīt respond to my e-mails" , I will ask him if this is LC-audio or another company, and let you know.

I read at the LC-Audio site, that they had skipped their telephone support, as the very majority of customers didnīt use it, but instead were using e-mails...

I will wait with my desision, and see if LC-audio put out more information about the implementation of the ZAP700 .

There are some scarcity of information at their site, e.g. they recommend us to use ferrite cores here and there, but as there are many types of ferrite (or iron dust), they should be more specific!

Old 14th January 2006, 08:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

On one of the other forums I discouvered a test of the UcD700AD;

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...=219804#219804

Cheers,

Jan-Peter

Old 14th January 2006, 10:33 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan-Peter
On one of the other forums I discouvered a test of the UcD700AD;

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...=219804#219804

Cheers,

Jan-Peter
That was me and a friend Jan.

I currently own an AKSA 55N+ and he's just got a UcD700AD. We thought it would be a great idea to compare the two but I was rather shocked with the end results!

And BTW the AKSA is a superb amp and up there with the Leach, Pass and Le Hiragra etc.

Old 14th January 2006, 10:40 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thank you,
Itīs hard to decide, and itīs quite possible that I will compere two alternatives, simply by building and listen!

I talked to my friend today and the people that didnīt respond to his e-mails, was in fact LC-Audio. Is there anyone else out there, who have had problems with this?

Old 14th January 2006, 10:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The golden mean
Thank you,
Itīs hard to decide, and itīs quite possible that I will compere two alternatives, simply by building and listen!

I talked to my friend today and the people that didnīt respond to his e-mails, was in fact LC-Audio. Is there anyone else out there, who have had problems with this?
I've read at least two comments from owners of LC Audio stuff that have emailed them with questions/problems and never got a reply. I also hardly ever visit the class-D section of DIY Audio so if I've seen two already how many more are there?

My friend said Hypex emailed him back quickly when he had a query about using the UcD700AD in balanced operation.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!