monica 2 - perhaps I killed her... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2005, 09:33 PM   #1
scott_m is offline scott_m  United States
diyAudio Member

Default monica 2 - perhaps I killed her...

Okay, I might as well start by admiting that I wasn't paying nearly enough attention to what I was doing - and that I was rushing through things to try and take advantage of the about 1 free hour I have all week. Never fails - stop paying attention and you fry something.

So I picked up a 12v dc power supply from Radio Shack and hooked it up to Monica. Suddenly - a burning smell. So I unplugged Monica quickly from the power supply. By doing that, I can't say for certain that I had the polarities reversed (since I unplugged the little plug with the two pins as soon as I smelled smoke) - but that is my first thought. I probably had the positive and ground reversed - this despite paying some attention to what I was doing.

However, I didn't check with the multimeter before turning on the power.

Now, externally the only component that looks fried, is the 20-24 ohm resistor, between the capacitor and the diode. The capacitor appears to be okay. The diode appears to be okay.

I just had to vent...

Scott.

As a side note- Doing a post post mortem I also noticed that the 12v dc powersupply was supplying 14.5 volts. Is there something about 12v power supplies I should know - like a 12v always equals 14.5 volts?
Old 18th December 2005, 11:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Was that the one who took care of president Clinton?

Any power source if not specified to be regulated would be approximate.

For prototyping, put a 1-penny (1N4005) series diode at the input of the breadboard to prevent aggravations. I also put an LED so that I don't solder when the LED red-flag is on.

Hide this!Advertise here!