monica 2 - perhaps I killed her...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, I might as well start by admiting that I wasn't paying nearly enough attention to what I was doing - and that I was rushing through things to try and take advantage of the about 1 free hour I have all week. Never fails - stop paying attention and you fry something.

So I picked up a 12v dc power supply from Radio Shack and hooked it up to Monica. Suddenly - a burning smell. So I unplugged Monica quickly from the power supply. By doing that, I can't say for certain that I had the polarities reversed (since I unplugged the little plug with the two pins as soon as I smelled smoke) - but that is my first thought. I probably had the positive and ground reversed - this despite paying some attention to what I was doing.

However, I didn't check with the multimeter before turning on the power.

Now, externally the only component that looks fried, is the 20-24 ohm resistor, between the capacitor and the diode. The capacitor appears to be okay. The diode appears to be okay.

I just had to vent...

Scott.

As a side note- Doing a post post mortem I also noticed that the 12v dc powersupply was supplying 14.5 volts. Is there something about 12v power supplies I should know - like a 12v always equals 14.5 volts?

Was that the one who took care of president Clinton?:cannotbe:

Any power source if not specified to be regulated would be approximate.

For prototyping, put a 1-penny (1N4005) series diode at the input of the breadboard to prevent aggravations. I also put an LED so that I don't solder when the LED red-flag is on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.