sla 12 volt battery for Chralize question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While I'm awaiting the delivery of the Charlize amp. module I've begun shopping for batteries.

First question - what size batteries are most people using for this amplifier?

Second question - a year or two ago I bought a chassis kit designed by Peter Daniel which is currently housing a 3875 chip amplifier. I like this chip amp, but I love the chassis and if the Charlize lives up to it's reputation, I'd like to take the chip amp out, and move the Charlize in. The problem I'm seeing is that the space in the chassis where the torroid is currently, that space is only 5" x 5" x 2 1/2" clear. I'm having trouble finding a 12 volt SLA battery to fit in that space. I'd like to have the amp and the battery in the same chassis, but maybe it's not possible to find a 12v to fit inside the case. If anyone has any experience w/ a small 12v (or really, a square 12v, instead of the 4 x 6 dimension I keep finding) I'd love to hear about it. Any ideas?

Also - any thoughts on replacing the alps pot with a carbon pot?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Scott.

Scott:
What you need is a UB1213 1.3 Ah battery, which measures about 3 3/4" X 2" X 1 5/8". This is the battery used in the original RWA amp.
Of course, you'll have to charge it more frequently than the larger capacity ones. I've used this, as well as 3.5 Ah and 12 Ah batterries on the Charlize.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

SLA Battery, Charger, Charlize

Larry,
Another question about SLA batteries. I'm considering using the 12V-3.4AH SLA from battery mart: http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=SLA-12V3-4 or something similar.

The charger that they recommend is: http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ACC-12BC0500D-1

In the description of the charger, it is stated that it can be safely hooked to the battery at all times providing a fully charged battery using a float charge. This sounds good to me. How would you wire the charger, battery, and charlize on/off switch. I'm assuming you clip the charger lines to the battery terminals. Where do the lines to the on/off/charlize connect so that you're pulling from the battery as opposed to the charger? Please spell it out for me as I'm really green when it comes to electronics.

Thanks.

...meanwhile, I've ordered 3 of the 1.3 ah batteries which I'll wire in Parallel. The Charlize arrived yesterday. I may buy a wall-wart 12v to play with while I await the batteries, and to begin whatever break in process the caps require - but I'm mostly waiting for a free day or two around christmas to hook it all up. The Brian Bell 3875 boards and powersupply will come out - I bought some small metal cases from a catalog last month so I think I'll rehouse them without a selector switch and volume, and try running them off a foreplay pre-amplifier I have on the shelf. (Monica2 DAC is also in the mail. . .)

Thanks for the help!

Scott.

Scott,
Just a note....

As I know that most wall-mart power supply doesn't come with a regulated supply and the output voltage will vary greatly with the load. Just to be on the safe side, please make sure that the power supply that you intend to get does not exceed above 14V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.