Sonic Impact Bizarre Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
To all you sonic impact modifiers out there I finally figured out my problem with the 12 volts going through my speaker line. The problem all along was with my sonicaps. I wreaked five amplifier boards trying to figure it out! Everything worked perfectly after upgrading the inductors, caps, and diodes. But whenever I hooked up the sonic caps to C3 and C4 as the last step and switched on the amp I hear a loud thump and the chip in turn got fried. The sonicaps started having problems after reusing them and reusing them to test on different amps. Have you ever heard of input capacitors going bad and destroying the whole amp? Well thanks for your time guys. I should be getting some obbligato caps soon. I hope these outperform the overrated auricap:dead:

Hey Guys

I've latched onto the T-amp craze and I had ordered one from the states two weeks ago.
Well I was eager to listen to my new toy and so I did not bothered with battery supply but was using a 12V 1amp DC supply.
Everything was working fine, burned it in for a couple days listening in the evenings and it was starting to sound really good. Started doing some back and forth comparisons with my Creek amp using the same Klipsch speakers. I was turning the Vol. up and down on the T-amp when all of a sudden it started screeching. Unplugged everything and tried again and now all I get is the power on click and then dead silence...is there anyway to check to see if I've totally fried the chip or do you think it may be something else...caps?

Thanks for any advice...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I heard that screeching once from an unmodified SI T-amp... I powered it down like you did, let it sit for a minute to cool down, powered it up again, and didn't get any sound. After looking over the connections and making sure that I didn't have anything hooked up wrong I said a few choice profanities :censored: and put the amp in my "abortion" box.

Kevin, that's very weird about the Sonicaps. Which ones were you using? I've been using some 2.7uF 450V polypro Sonicaps and they haven't given me any problems. I don't even have the input caps soldered on my test amp. I just switched to the 3.3uF electrolytics while the amp was powered up and hooked to test speakers. It made lots of loud pops and crackles but it still works fine. In fact the one channel keeps cutting out and buzzing because the one cap isn't making a good electrical contact. The chips can handle a fair amount of abuse on the input side, that's for sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.