Will the UcD180 modules have enough juice for Dynaudio speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Sirs,

I am very interested in building a power amp based on UcD modules.
Now the question is: will the UcD 180 power module be powerful enough to drive adequately my "hungry" Dynaudios?
From the data sheet I understand they are current limited at 10A max.
Then only time I heard my Dynaudios sounding nice was with two little monos able to deliver 22A of peak current each !
They are very demanding speakers in term of current.
Bedises could the UcD 400, limited at about 20A, be a wiser choice?
Do you have any direct experience with these modules?
Which speakers are you using ?

Thank you very much indeed.
Kind regards,

beppe61

I think we need a little more info....

What model Dynaudio and what are the specs of the uCD module you take of?

I have a pair of Audience 9's and they perform best with either my KSA-50 or my Aleph 2's. I've also driven them with Audio Research, Dual 115mk-2, McIntosh MC30's, and a pair of Atmosphere M-60 MK-2 OTL's and that latter was really a joke!! Best tube amp on them was by the BAT VK-60...they had more slam than big whiff from a fresh bottle of ammonia:xeye: ! But overall the earlier Krell or Pass Aleph stuff really makes em come alive.

So why not build either an KSA-50 or a pair of Alephs? Neither is all that expensive to build.

Mark

P.S. I just looked at the Hypex site and they don't specify what the peak current is that the modules can supply. I personally don't like to use anything with current limiting. But the amp is an interesting concept.

Since I'm the only (potential) customer in the world who has heard the UcD-700 at my own home, I can only advise you to go for a pair of UcD-700's! They have all the power you need and sound better than the other UcD's! If money is no objection, your problem is solved with the UcD 700!

Dear Sir,
thank you so much for your extremely kind and valuable reply.
Let me please be more precise hereunder.

>
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
I think we need a little more info....
What model Dynaudio and what are the specs of the uCD module you take of?

I have two old model: Recital (that I am currently using) and MPS110. The behaviour is quite similar.
I think it is because the woofers are similar in construction.

> I have a pair of Audience 9's and they perform best with either my KSA-50 or my Aleph 2's. I've also driven them with Audio Research, Dual 115mk-2, McIntosh MC30's, and a pair of Atmosphere M-60 MK-2 OTL's and that latter was really a joke!! Best tube amp on them was by the BAT VK-60...they had more slam than big whiff from a fresh bottle of ammonia:xeye: !
But overall the earlier Krell or Pass Aleph stuff really makes em come alive.

Unfortunately You have confirmed my suspects.
That the Dynaudios need a huge amount of amperes to come alive.
The biggest problem for me is that I am a beginner.
One thing is to connect a UcD module another to build a KSA50 clone.
One day if someone will offer a kit maybe.
What I can understand anyway it is why manufacturers do not declare the available peak current from their amps.
I have already three amps that fail to drive those woofers adequantely. They do not have the classic iron fist.

> So why not build either an KSA-50 or a pair of Alephs? Neither is all that expensive to build.

Too difficult for me. I am sorry.

> Mark
P.S. I just looked at the Hypex site and they don't specify what the peak current is that the modules can supply.

http://hypex.nl/docs/UcD180_datasheet.pdf

> I personally don't like to use anything with current limiting.

You don't like. I am starting to hate those current limiting devices !!!!!
I want the current back.

> But the amp is an interesting concept.

Expecially for bad diyer like me.
Just connect with faston and go ! What a simple job.

Dear Mr. Mark,
thank you sincerely again for your very kind and valuable reply.
If you are aware of power amps in kit form able to source a good amount of current please let me know.

Kind regards,

beppe61
ITALY

Leeuwarden said:
Since I'm the only (potential) customer in the world who has heard the UcD-700 at my own home, I can only advise you to go for a pair of UcD-700's! They have all the power you need and sound better than the other UcD's! If money is no objection, your problem is solved with the UcD 700!

Dear Sir,

thank you so much for oyur very helpful and kind reply.
From the data sheet I read 28 ampere of peak current before the shut-off of the unit.
That could be more than enough indeed.
I will study the 700 better.

Thank you so much.
Kind regards,

beppe61

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.