UCD-180 Monoblocks? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2005, 06:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default UCD-180 Monoblocks?

Sorry, I originally posted in the wrong forum....

I am now planning a Dual-Mono Amplifier Design using the Hypex UCD-180AD Digital Class D amplifier from DIYCable.com

Power Supply
Power Cord Volex Shielded 3-Connect (Mouser)
Input IEC Shurter 15A Power Entry/Switch (Mouser)
Filter Schurter 20A Filter Block (Mouser)
Toroid Avel 330VA 30-30 (PartsExpress)
Filter Caps 2X: FilmFoil PolyPro 100nF, 400V (PercyAudio)
Rectifier 2X: Fairchild 27A, 600V IXYS Bridge (PercyAudio)
Power Caps 4X: Nichicon 10KuF, 50V Superthru (PercyAudio)

Amplifier Unit
Filter Caps 2X 100nF 400V (PercyAudio)
2X 100uF 100V Nichicon KZ (PercyAudio)
RC Filter 2X 680nF 400V (PercyAudio)
2X Caddock 1R, 20W (PercyAudio)
Amplifer Hypex UCD-180AD (DIYCable)
Heat Sink DIYCable Aluminum Heat Sink (DIYCable)

Each Amp has an outboard power supply and the filtering capability is primarily in the second unit, next to the Amp Boards. Each power supply will have dual recification rails.

I used the guidelines on TNT-Audio to develop the Monoblocks and used the examples on DecibelDungeon for inspiration on Design. Does anyone have experience using the Hypex amps in this manner?
Old 10th December 2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Default Re: UCD-180 Monoblocks?

Quote:
Originally posted by audioferret
Sorry, I originally posted in the wrong forum....

I am now planning a Dual-Mono Amplifier Design using the Hypex UCD-180AD Digital Class D amplifier from DIYCable.com

Power Supply
Power Cord Volex Shielded 3-Connect (Mouser)
Input IEC Shurter 15A Power Entry/Switch (Mouser)
Filter Schurter 20A Filter Block (Mouser)
Toroid Avel 330VA 30-30 (PartsExpress)
Filter Caps 2X: FilmFoil PolyPro 100nF, 400V (PercyAudio)
Rectifier 2X: Fairchild 27A, 600V IXYS Bridge (PercyAudio)
Power Caps 4X: Nichicon 10KuF, 50V Superthru (PercyAudio)

Amplifier Unit
Filter Caps 2X 100nF 400V (PercyAudio)
2X 100uF 100V Nichicon KZ (PercyAudio)
RC Filter 2X 680nF 400V (PercyAudio)
2X Caddock 1R, 20W (PercyAudio)
Amplifer Hypex UCD-180AD (DIYCable)
Heat Sink DIYCable Aluminum Heat Sink (DIYCable)

Each Amp has an outboard power supply and the filtering capability is primarily in the second unit, next to the Amp Boards. Each power supply will have dual recification rails.

I used the guidelines on TNT-Audio to develop the Monoblocks and used the examples on DecibelDungeon for inspiration on Design. Does anyone have experience using the Hypex amps in this manner?

No reply from anyone huh? I doubt anybody tried that exact combo.

Looks like you spent some time thinking about all this.. and are opting for some good choices.

As per your 10mF filter caps, I think 50V is cutting it too close and you should likely opt for 63V.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 12th December 2005, 03:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Parallel Configuration

If I use the capacitors in a 2x2 "four-pack", doesn't the 50v per cap stack into 100v tolerance per rail? I thought using the caps in parallel would fix that? Is 20,000uF per rail overdoing it or should I stick with 20K?

Old 12th December 2005, 03:41 AM   #4
Account Disabled

Default Re: Parallel Configuration

Quote:
If I use the capacitors in a 2x2 "four-pack", doesn't the 50v per cap stack into 100v tolerance per rail? I thought using the caps in parallel would fix that? Is 20,000uF per rail overdoing it or should I stick with 20K?

Hi,

Paralleled caps: Capacitance adds, two 10mF caps in // is a 20mF cap. If they're both 50V, they're still 50V, they can be safely used with a ~20% margin.

Caps in series: Capacitance divides, two 50V 10mF caps in series can look like a 100V 5mF cap.

"20,000uF per rail overdoing it or should I stick with 20K?"

That's entirely confusing to me. Did you mean stick wtih 10K? Even K is an improper unit, it would be m for milli farad.

Assuming your question was to use 20mF or 10mF (20 000uf or 10 000uF), 10mF is fairly optimal for powering a single channel at a 4 ohm load. For two 4 ohm channels connected to the same supply, double it for 20mF.

In my UCD180 supply, I'm using two 63V 15 000uF caps per rail per channel. It's a stereo setup where both channels share the same PSU, and so the caps are paralleled, giving the equivalent of 30mF per rail in total, with the same 63V blocking capability.

It's recommended you don't go beyond 20mF per rail per channel as it would degrade your power factor, unless you employ some form of power factor correction.

Regards,
Chris
Old 12th December 2005, 03:45 AM   #5
pburke is offline pburke  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Parallel Configuration

Quote:

50V is 50V - duck when they vent

if it was that easy to make caps handle 100V, why are the 100V caps so much more expensive? Ther ewouldn't be any need for them, especially since smaller caps are "faster," so everyone would just put banks of cheap small caps in to get the fancy power supplies built. Doesn't work that way (and I have a few vented Blackgates to prove that I tried some dumb things in the past)

Peter
Old 12th December 2005, 03:47 AM   #6
Account Disabled

Default Re: Re: Parallel Configuration

Quote:
Originally posted by pburke

50V is 50V - duck when they vent

if it was that easy to make caps handle 100V, why are the 100V caps so much more expensive? Ther ewouldn't be any need for them, especially since smaller caps are "faster," so everyone would just put banks of cheap small caps in to get the fancy power supplies built. Doesn't work that way (and I have a few vented Blackgates to prove that I tried some dumb things in the past)

Peter

Vented black gates..... ooooooohhhh....... sorry. Cost of learning eh?
Old 12th December 2005, 03:51 AM   #7
pburke is offline pburke  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Parallel Configuration

Quote:
Originally posted by classd4sure

Vented black gates..... ooooooohhhh....... sorry. Cost of learning eh?

hooked up the battery the wrong way on the old DDDAC - no fuse, no diodes to make sure I am not an idiot - splat - lucky it wasn't a 10000uF power supply BG
Old 12th December 2005, 06:26 AM   #8
Account Disabled

Quote:
In my UCD180 supply, I'm using two 63V 15 000uF caps per rail per channel.
No I'm not, I'm using 1 of those caps per rail per channel, but they're in // since it's single supply. Just stay between 10 and 20mF per rail per channel anyway, hope that error didn't confuse you.
Old 12th December 2005, 06:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re-Thinking Caps

Hmmm....

OK, these are some options. I would like to keep my cap costs to about $80 per amp, but I am willing to be flexible. I am pretty sure I want to use Nichicon Great Supply Capacitors
(See Percyaudio.com)

Option 1: 4x 10,000uF, 63V capacitors per power supply, set in a 4-pack series/parallel configuration.

Option 2: 4x 6,800uF, 63V Capacitors per supply, set in a 6-pack series/parallel Configuration. (Super-Through not Available?)

Option 3: 2x 15,000uF, 63V Capacitors, parallel Configuration

Option 1 appears to have a 20,000uF total rating with 63V tolerance. This will cost $56 in Gold series or $88 in Super-Through

Option 2 appears to have 21,000uF total rating with 63V tolerance. This will cost $42 in Gold Series

Option 3 appears to have only 15,000uf total rating with 63V tolerance. This will cost $47 and $76 in Gold and Super Ratings respectively.

Question:
1. What setup is the most cost-effective without sacrificing too-much quality? At first glance, option 1 appears the best in performace, option 2 appears best in cost, and 3 appears best in space.

2. Has anyone compared the Gold Series to Super-Through? I have seen the stats on Nichicon's Web site, but how are the listening perceptions?

3. Is there a better option out there? Should I be looking at different caps?

Old 12th December 2005, 06:47 PM   #10
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
audioferret,

im having those same questions about caps. im trying to keep my parts cost cheap, so im looking at some other nichicons (not audio grades) for like half or 1/4 of the price. im still trying to decide if its worth the extra cash.

have you heard a UCD module yet? im like 20 minutes away from you, if you want, you can come over and listen to mine.

Hide this!Advertise here!