What speaker cable for Class-T amps, Cat5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking about using Cat 5 computer cables as speaker cables with the Class-T amps.
I know that this is a very high capacitance cable, some amps don't like this and I'm not sure if this suits the Class-T, has anyone tried?
I once used it with very bad results with a high bandwith amp, I remember the amp started to oscillate badly.
Presently using something like a better bell wire (not that bad) so I'm prepared to try anything, as long its cheap and cheerful :)
Any recommendations anyone?
No Kimber Black Perl please, real world stuff.

MrDodo said:
I was thinking about using Cat 5 computer cables as speaker cables with the Class-T amps.
I know that this is a very high capacitance cable, some amps don't like this and I'm not sure if this suits the Class-T, has anyone tried?
I once used it with very bad results with a high bandwith amp, I remember the amp started to oscillate badly.
Presently using something like a better bell wire (not that bad) so I'm prepared to try anything, as long its cheap and cheerful :)
Any recommendations anyone?
No Kimber Black Perl please, real world stuff.

Hi,

I use Chris VenHaus DIY Cat5 Speaker Cables for the tweeter and the mid of my DIY 3 ways (3 wired).

Chris VH Cat5 speakers cables

I had the SI t-amp for a few days and had no problem. I now use Charlize and it don't have any problem with the Cat5 cables and my 85 dB DIY speakers. By the way, I made these cables 4 years
ago and since that time, I upgraded my amp and speakers but I never felt that I should replace the câbles. I will probably try to braid some Teflon insulated 23awg silver plated copper wire, to see if it could sound a little bit better ;)

Regards,

Thanks guys
If it will not make my class-T amp explode then I can try the Cat5 cable as well, for as we all know Audio Nirvanna is an unatainable status that we nevertheless stubbornly try to reach.
And this makes us creep the diyaudio forum everyday in search of illumination.

I've used singled stranded CAT 5 (aprox 12' runs) with no problem on both the Sonic Impact & the Clari - T amp for several months. Not all CAT 5 is equal. Strongly recommend single stranded Plenum. You'll be pleasently surprised. I ditched some very expensive ($2000.00) in lieu of CAT 5.

MrDodo said:

So what is "single stranded Plenum"
Hi,

here is a simple explanation :

"CAT 5 cable is available in non-plenum and plenum grades. Both grades meet the same electrical requirements for high-speed data communications. However, only the plenum grade is rated to provide the low flame-spread and low smoke safety performance that building codes require for cables used in air-handling spaces."

You have to make sure that the Cat5 have Teflon insulated conductors. From what I read, some new Plenium cables no longer use FEP (teflon).

Regards,

Attachments

• cat5 fep.gif
    cat5 fep.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 341
Lostcause said:
So just to recap....
That's.....single core...CAT5 (not5E or6).....Teflon insulated....and Plenum if you want?

Is that a good summary?

How many wires should you use per connection? one pair for each driver/speaker? or should you combine wires?

Solid core - not the stranded stuff, Plenum/Teflon coated. CAT 5, CAT 5E or CAT 6 doesn't seem to make much of a difference. A bunch of us guys on the Decware forums did a group buy on cryogenically treated CAT 5 and CAT 6. Nobody really came to the conclusion that the cryo treatment made any real difference.

If you tear the outside jacket off, you'll find four pairs of very small wire inside. I use 12' runs of one pair per speaker with flea powered amplification. You can combine as many pairs as you want by braiding them, but my ears tell me you give up some resolution in so doing.

I know it seems odd to have such tiny inexpensive wires go from the amp to the speakers. My former cables were silver coated litz two fingers fat in diameter, but they veiled the music compared to the CAT 5. Lesson learned, lots and lots of money doesn’t always achieve the desired end!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It may depend on the speaker, too. I haven't tried the CAT 5/skinny wire trick yet. But a number of people have emailed me about it. Seems to be speaker dependant. Some speakers like it, some don't (same amp).

It sure would be easy and cheap to try. Maybe it has to do with damping factor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.