switching class d amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seem quite a classic and not very hi-tech Class-D amp (P/N mosfets, etc), but has anyone had a look at the power supply? It seems to use the 117VAC input to produce +/-51V rails, with no transformer!!!

For apps. where the user can't touch any terminal, such as active speakers, etc, where safety is not a problem (this supply is not galvanically isolated!), it can be useful.

Mmm, I wonder if that design can be modified for 230VAC mains and any output voltage with proper component values... I will have a deeper look at it but it is, at least, interesting.

The triac cuts the output during a variable time, depending on the output voltage, that is sensed and compared to a reference. This way the caps are charged to the correct voltage. It is similar to a lamp dimmer, but I hadn't seen something like this, operating from a _rectified_ mains and then filtered to get DC.

the center point (GND) is obtained by a voltage divider made by caps. I don't know how stable this will be...

Originally posted by Pierre:
It seem quite a classic and not very hi-tech

Not very high-tech is not right word, stone-age low-tech is proper for this!

:bigeyes:
Triac "regulated" power supply. TL074 used as a comparator. Not isolated from mains. 50khz modulation frequency. No output coils/chokes. Collection of ideas how not to do d-class. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

class d amp articles

I have only put these here because they work but know they are old and can be improved.Class d is still not as easy to build for the diy as gainclone chip amps,also there are not many schematics around.Both of these circuits could use a vco or maybe a tl494 as the osc and also use a high/low mosfet driver chip to drive better fets or maybe IGBTs.Sometimes the best thing to do is use something that works and make it better

:bigeyes:

Re: class d amp article

steven344 said:

I for one greatly enjoy seeing these relics you post, I also agree with your vision. However you can shorten the process by a decade or so by first studying amps that have done it right and already solved common problems, perhaps then taking it from there?

Regards,
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.